Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, reading around here, I haven't found much on what you all do to make your gas caps lockable. I read that Mopar has one, but has a lot of "play"?

And something about that cap is coded to the ignition key? How is that made lockable?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Why do people buy these. Jeeps are near impossible to suck gas out of.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I bought the $25ish MOPAR locking cap from my dealer. The key on a good day is a PITA, and you've got to hold your mouth just right and say a few choice dirty words to get the key in the cap on occasion, but eventually it'll go in.

Otherwise, no issues.
@mcgee10 I got a locking cap because I'm forced to leave my Jeep in the parking lot at work for up to 3 or so days at a time, and it's not the best part of town to be doing this. I have also read that it's difficult to suck gas out of our Jeeps, but I suspect it's very easy to add something to the tank that does not belong.... I figure better safe than sorry

Exco

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
It may not be to prevent just the gas siphoning but to prevent someone from adding damaging substances to the fuel as well.

I don't use one myself and as a locksmith know how easy they are to remove without a key.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That's because the gas doesn't last long enough in 'em to get stolen.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've got the Drake aluminum one... It was on the Jeep when I bought it, but seems very sturdy / good.
Comes with its own key that says "Gas"on it... You know, in case you mix up the tiny short gas key for the huge, built in remote Jeep key! :)

·
Registered
995 Posts
It may not be to prevent just the gas siphoning but to prevent someone from adding damaging substances to the fuel as well.

I don't use one myself and as a locksmith know how easy they are to remove without a key.
I guess I live in the land of ozz, because I can't think of anyone that would put something in your tank just to be nasty. I guess if I was in fear of this in my neighborhood I would move first. With so many really great mods to do to your jeep I think this is one i'd forget about just saying.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I use the basic Mopar locking gas cap because I actually don't want it to be keyed to the ignition. I treat it with powdered graphite once a year and I've had no problems with it in 6 yrs. I have one basically for the kid factor; keeping stuff out and keeping a kid from easily taking it. Nothing to do with removing fuel.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the Mopar cap keyed to my ignition key and the Mopar gas cover. I thought the cap would be secure, but it's not - I can open it when locked. I don't think these caps are meant to be foolproof, simply a visible deterrent to a thief or vandal - but I do like not carrying another key. Now that I can open the cap without a key, I think the only secure solution would be a locking cover (flap) where the cover housing is bolted to the body panel. (But I suppose even then, one could remove the tail light and unbolt... meh.)

·
Registered
2,924 Posts

I don't recall ever using one myself. But I have made keys to many of them as a locksmith over the years.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,232 Posts
I use the basic Mopar locking gas cap because I actually don't want it to be keyed to the ignition. I treat it with powdered graphite once a year and I've had no problems with it in 6 yrs. I have one basically for the kid factor; keeping stuff out and keeping a kid from easily taking it. Nothing to do with removing fuel.
Same here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I, too, bought the basic $25 Mopar lockable gas cap. Not paying an extra $50 just to be able to use the ignition key. I already spend stupid money on my Jeep, but that's where I draw the line :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
My gas cap was stolen a few weeks ago. I asked the guy in the service department if he would recommend the locking gas cap and he said no, he would recommend the locking fuel door instead.

There are quite a few out there - has anyone had luck with one in particular?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I asked the parts guy about a locking cap when I picked up my jk, he suggested going to napa.....so I did!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts