Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 jk unlimited I bought new in August and started using the four wheel drive in the snow when I noticed a burnt smell. It only happens when I'm in four wheel drive. Is it normal?

Thanks,jg

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If you have eivc, Check your coolant temp, I would bet it is 220-225, just your engine getting hot. If you don't have eivc, to rule things out check the temp of your transfer case and front diff. I have a laser temp gun., everyone should have one!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I would take it straight to the dealer when you smell it. Let them walk out and smell it as it is happening. Everything new has to break in but realistically the entire time you been driving it has been spinning. Meaning the front tires are spinning and it spins everything into the transfer case. The engine spins the other side. When you pull the 4X4 lever it just connects the two.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 2014 jk unlimited I bought new in August and started using the four wheel drive in the snow when I noticed a burnt smell. It only happens when I'm in four wheel drive. Is it normal?

Thanks,jg
i noticed this too. i tried the 4x4 in snow on gravel for just a short time to see how it worked. noticed a smell, more of a chemical smell that burnt, maybe hot.

recently i have used 4x4 in beach sand for many miles. i don't notice it anymore.

ba

·
Registered
28 Posts
New JKU bought last Nov and I've gotten that smell 3 times, the last time just a few days ago. I call it more of a burning brake smell which we get w/semi's here in the mtns of Colorado. It happens to me in 4-wheel and I get some slippage (i.e. turning) and the traction light comes on. Mentioned it to my dealer a few weeks ago and he said I was probably jumping the clutch, which I replied I didn't think so, and he said bring it in next time and replicate it.Course it has to be deep snow and I have to set an appointment 3 weeks in advance. I'm pretty sure this is outside the "break-in" period and worried something is wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts