Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2014 JKU Rubicon and I'm looking to do the grill mesh insert and cutting the flares as well as painting the inside of my hard top. Are these going to be too hard for me or are they pretty simple? I'm somewhat tech savvy but thus is my first Wrangler. Located in Provo, Utah if anyone wants to work on any of their stuff or just help me.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
grill mesh inserts are easy. jwm4x4 makes a great insert. would protect thread from large degree

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I tried to cut the flares but it didn't think there was going to be enough support to keep them from flapping in the wind. So I just ended up getting to smittybilt ones instead. A little narrower then I wanted but they will do the job for what I paid for them. I couldn't justify a grand for the nicer ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm getting custom flares made so this is just a temporary fix. I have big plans but not big money so I'm budgeting every piece.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I haven't done either but "hello" from another Utah County jeeper. Work in Provo & live in PG.

There are step by step instructions & parts lists on here somewhere for the mesh.

PS - I have a set of factory fenders off a 2016 I'd probably give you if you screw up cutting your flares.

·
Super Moderator
10,676 Posts
Congratulations!

Grille inserts are pretty easy and a must IMO. To avoid bugs and other debris damaging your radiator. You will find at least a dozen choices. Pretty much you get what you pay for.

I don't personally like cut flares.

I would imagine you need to be careful painting fiberglass, as it tends to crack and peel off easily.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congratulations!

Grille inserts are pretty easy and a must IMO. To avoid bugs and other debris damaging your radiator. You will find at least a dozen choices. Pretty much you get what you pay for.

I don't personally like cut flares.

I would imagine you need to be careful painting fiberglass, as it tends to crack and peel off easily.
Thank you for the congrats and for the info!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't done either but "hello" from another Utah County jeeper. Work in Provo & live in PG.

There are step by step instructions & parts lists on here somewhere for the mesh.

PS - I have a set of factory fenders off a 2016 I'd probably give you if you screw up cutting your flares.
The first one was for you elknut, I just learned the whole quote thing.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I just got a 2014 JKU Rubicon and I'm looking to do the grill mesh insert and cutting the flares as well as painting the inside of my hard top. Are these going to be too hard for me or are they pretty simple? I'm somewhat tech savvy but thus is my first Wrangler. Located in Provo, Utah if anyone wants to work on any of their stuff or just help me.
So not sure if you looked or not but I have found for almost every job I have done on my JKU, there is a few YouTube vids of someone doing the same thing. I would give that a look for anything you do. You can save some time and money watch someone else doing it and then do it yourself.

On the fender flares...I think I am weird but I actually love the stock fenders that came with mine. We will see if that love holds but I do love the look. I do want a small lift, probably the mopar one eventually maybe some new tires (who am I kidding, I wont be able to resist), and maybe them the fenders will go but I really like the look of the stock ones.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So not sure if you looked or not but I have found for almost every job I have done on my JKU, there is a few YouTube vids of someone doing the same thing. I would give that a look for anything you do. You can save some time and money watch someone else doing it and then do it yourself.

On the fender flares...I think I am weird but I actually love the stock fenders that came with mine. We will see if that love holds but I do love the look. I do want a small lift, probably the mopar one eventually maybe some new tires (who am I kidding, I wont be able to resist), and maybe them the fenders will go but I really like the look of the stock ones.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to look at that. If you like the look of the stock flares you should look at the JK Max Fender Flares made by Notch Customs. That's who's making mine and they're a stock looking flare.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts