1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Jeep JKU Rubicon X
Mileage: 1,062
MPG: 15.5 City/17.2 Hwy

Is it normal for a brand new JKU to get bad mileage during the break-in period? I have heard another JKU owner say that it gets better?

And I have been driving nicely.

·
Registered
368 Posts
In a similar situation as you, except I've been getting 12/13... Though, I live in NYC, and I have a billion lights and stop signs around me. Gets awfully annoying(How many times I have to stop, then hit the pedal again, stop, hit the gas again, etc..)

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
:popcorn::beerdrinking::popcorn:

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
I've heard the rumor of poor mileage during break-in, but for the 3 vehicles I've bought new, I've never observed such a thing.

Though on the last car I bought it took a while to stop it burning rubber every time I accelerated from a stop - darn peppy motor.

I do recommend changing your motor oil after the first 1,500 miles as the wear-in is going to leave more junk in your filter than the next 100,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
The 15/21 rating given to the wrangler is given to the sport with 29" wheels and 3.21 gears. The rubicon gets none of these. If you have the manual you have 4.10 gears and if auto you have 4.10 or 3.73. Either one of those will raise the rpms and lower the mileage. The mud tires won't help either. 17 is a little low but not too low for a rubicon. City mileage is highly variable depending on conditions so it's tough to rate that

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just broke 2k on my new jkurx and the first 500-1000 miles I was getting crap for milage but it slowly got better started at maybe 13 and I'm up to 16 mostly city and trails. I have the 6 speed BTW.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
When I bought my 2013 Rubi 2dr last year, the first 2,000 miles I was only getting 12-14mph city/highway. Then around 2,500 it got better. Currently I have 8k miles and averaging 16.2mpg city/highway and 18 highway with full aftermarket bumpers, winch, 35" tires and lift. Quite honestly I'm very impress. I hope its just the breakin period you are experiencing and that your gas mileage improves!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm averaging about the same as the OP. Have about 1100 miles on my 14 jkur.

·
Registered
95 Posts
So far on my new 2014 JKUR I have about 1400 miles 80% city driving in stop and go traffic. My average mileage has been a steady 17.3MPG. The one trip to Austin from San Antonio I took it on I got 21MPG. The EVIC computer on my JKUR is about 1/10 of a MPG off according to Fuely. Tires are stock BFG's that come on the Rubicon, and I have 3.73 gears with the automatic.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm getting 14.5 - 15 on average in my 14 JKUR 4.10 Auto. When the weather was cold I was only getting 13.5. The winter blend fuel and cold weather are murder on your avg.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
With 15.5/17.2 MPG I would quietly ask my thread to be removed and be thankful. :D

Read some of the fuel economy threads.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It's a jeep. You don't buy for mileage. I am getting 16 in my jk all city driving.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well....knew what I was buying before I bought so no complaints here but I am at 3,700 miles on 2014 and my computer say average mpg is 14.3.

2014 JKUR with auto and 4.10 gears but a very light foot on the pedal.

·
Registered
10,333 Posts
2014 Jeep JKU Rubicon X
Mileage: 1,062
MPG: 15.5 City/17.2 Hwy
I am lost. What's the bad millage you are getting?

Those numbers actually look good for a JKURX.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What are these MPGs? I don't think my JKU came with them. Mine came with SPG(smiles per gallon) instead.
Definitely true!

I was not misguided when I bought the Jeep, I knew what I was getting into. I was just curious about the comments I heard about the mileage getting better after break in.

I love the Jeep! It will be even more amazing when I can add the following addition!!!

http://www.goxventure.com/

1 - 20 of 28 Posts