Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new 2015 JKU Rubicon Premium Soft top. I have figured out what all the goodies that were in the console. They only thing I can't figure out are the black straps with a snap/button on the end of it?

Can someone please educate me?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Don't use them! Don't roll your rear window up that tight, you'll get creases that will never come out. I remove mine completely and roll it, but in a much larger diameter with a towel around it to keep from scratching and creasing the windows.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Don't use them! Don't roll your rear window up that tight, you'll get creases that will never come out. I remove mine completely and roll it, but in a much larger diameter with a towel around it to keep from scratching and creasing the windows.
Thanks for the info, I just bought a set for my 15 but haven't used them yet. Wish I had read this earlier, could have saved a few bucks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I roll my back window up with the straps quite frequently, it is very practical. Yes, there are some minor scratches on it, but the convenience of rolling it is worth it. I also have one of those clover patch rolls I use when I take all of the windows out. Your Jeep WILL get broken in if you use it....I prefer the bare metal floors with rubber mats too.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I second dont roll i do this i tuck the window on top of roll cage .i take the straps and hook them on the ends if the rear window bar .and i bought some snaps the same size and screwed them into the plastic .the window stays put and it never gets rolled up
That's an awesome idea, I never thought of that! I also used to fret over scratching up my window by rolling it up with the straps like that. I'll give it a try when I get my new rig.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not trying to hijack your thread but does the 2015 soft top still come with/need the Velcro straps? Mine didn't but there is a strap loop on both sides of the bracket, is that the same thing? I didn't get Velcro straps in my glove box, will I need them and should I ask for them at my dealership? Since I am running with the hard top right now I haven't had a chance to even unwrap my soft top.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,189 Posts
Not trying to hijack your thread but does the 2015 soft top still come with/need the Velcro straps? Mine didn't but there is a strap loop on both sides of the bracket, is that the same thing? I didn't get Velcro straps in my glove box, will I need them and should I ask for them at my dealership? Since I am running with the hard top right now I haven't had a chance to even unwrap my soft top.
Yes, you should use and should have gotten the straps. I'd recommend just picking up a roll of velcro OneWrap. You can find it on amazon, at Walmart, craft stores, pretty much anywhere that would sell any velcro. Then you can cut pieces (quantity and size to your needs) and have plenty left over for spares or use for something else. I love the stuff! :thumb:

·
Registered
723 Posts
I would stop worrying about the scratches. I used to be so careful and meticulous with my windows until I realized that if you look at them and the sun is just right, a scratch will appear. It's almost impossible to prevent so I stopped trying. I've rolled mine up a few times and it works ok. Only issue is it obstructs your rear view as it doesn't go all the way up. I still prefer to take it out completely but will roll it up in a pinch. Good luck and just have fun with it!

·
Registered
517 Posts
My old '90YJ had the soft top and after a few years of use I had two stripes down the rear window from using the straps. Once I replaced the top I never used the straps again. I did something similar where I tucked it up and added straps to hold it up.

Did my window still get scratched - of course but it lasted a lot longer.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I would stop worrying about the scratches. I used to be so careful and meticulous with my windows until I realized that if you look at them and the sun is just right, a scratch will appear. It's almost impossible to prevent so I stopped trying. I've rolled mine up a few times and it works ok. Only issue is it obstructs your rear view as it doesn't go all the way up. I still prefer to take it out completely but will roll it up in a pinch. Good luck and just have fun with it!
They scratch from water practically...its not worth the effort to anally protect them...the dust in the air will scratch them, its inevitable

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.