Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this new Kicker Sub CompVT CVT651 | KICKER a good replacement for the OEM sub since it's a 1 ohm low profile mount? MSRP is high, but I figure it'll be cheaper online once it's been out a little while.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The OEM sub is a DVC (dual voice coil) whereas that Kicker is SVC (single)
I've recently replaced mine with a Kicker 10 cvt 654 and works fine so far. Will be installing a new amp to really push it some more. The 1 ohm coil will not be a good replacement.

The Kicker 10 cvt 654 is also a SVC, but at 4 ohms and paid only 54 USD through Amazon

·
Registered
81 Posts
Kicker CVT651 1 ohm

Correct me if I'm wrong: the original is a dual voice coil (2 coils, 2 ohm each). The thought is that 2 voice coils produce better base than a single voice coil. Effectively, the 2 coils are pushed by the single factory amp with a total impedance of 1 ohm.

The CVT651 is an SVC (single voice coil) with 1 ohm impedence. If you connect both positive wires (grey red) to the pos terminal and both neg wires (black brown) to the neg terminal, you will be pushing a single voice coil at 1 ohm.

By using a 4 ohm single, you would be reducing the total shown amperage to the speaker by 1/4--about 17 watts vice 75.

That's my understanding: 75 watt factory amp shown 1amp via 2 2 ohm voice coils.

the Kicker cVT651 single voice coil at 1 ohm should be fine.

Others have had reported good results with 2 or 4 ohm units, but most add an aftermarket amp.:punk:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong: the original is a dual voice coil (2 coils, 2 ohm each). The thought is that 2 voice coils produce better base than a single voice coil. Effectively, the 2 coils are pushed by the single factory amp with a total impedance of 1 ohm.

The CVT651 is an SVC (single voice coil) with 1 ohm impedence. If you connect both positive wires (grey red) to the pos terminal and both neg wires (black brown) to the neg terminal, you will be pushing a single voice coil at 1 ohm.

By using a 4 ohm single, you would be reducing the total shown amperage to the speaker by 1/4--about 17 watts vice 75.

That's my understanding: 75 watt factory amp shown 1amp via 2 2 ohm voice coils.

the Kicker cVT651 single voice coil at 1 ohm should be fine.

Others have had reported good results with 2 or 4 ohm units, but most add an aftermarket amp.:punk:
having a single voice coil is no different than a duel voice coil. a duel voice coil allows you to have the option of running 2 different resistances. so a 2 ohm DVC can be wired to present a 1 ohm load or a 4 ohm load.

the higher the ohms the more resistance, the lower the ohms the lower the resistance.

you do need to take into consideration that the lower the resistance the more heat is produced. so a 2 ohm load sent to a sub will have a slightly longer life than a 4 ohm load.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Jma20a said:
you do need to take into consideration that the lower the resistance the LESS heat is produced. so a 2 ohm load sent to a sub will have a slightly longer life than a 4 ohm load.
Fixed that for ya.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
^wrong. at a lower impedance load it has to work harder to put out more power. which causes heat.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, I agree with most all of that; but, the DVC vs SVC can be significant--some amps are designed to be bridged, and some not. No telling whether bridging the amp (both wires on the SVC) will be better or worse than 'unbalancing' the amp and only connecting one set of wires to the SVC speaker.

That said, the amp was designed to be connected with 2 channels (I believe a high cut and a low cut) driving 2 speaker coils (DVC). I think (from scanning other posts) that the factory coils might be 1.4 ohms resistance each.

Lots of people report good results with bridged/unbridged and at varying loads from ~1 ohm to 4 ohms.

A replacement cheap mono amp makes the most sense though....IMHO.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
you can bridge an amp with a DVC sub.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts