Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a starting price and plenty of features of a JLU Rubicon, the new LR Defender will give Jeep and run for the money.

First Look ? 2020 Land Rover Defender

Maybe not for rock crawlers, but Over llanders, general trails, mail crawlers, etc.

Thoughts?

I have been thinking of a new JL Sahara as a DD, but a new LR Defender in 2 door might be it.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks more like a competitor to Grand Cherokee.

Doubt it can be even close to JK/JL Rubicon capabilities.

Barring Rock Crawling the original Defender was slightly better overall on several categories.

Again, how many Wranglers are TRULY used at their full potential or rock crawling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
With a starting price and plenty of features of a JLU Rubicon, the new LR Defender will give Jeep and run for the money.

First Look ? 2020 Land Rover Defender

Maybe not for rock crawlers, but Over llanders, general trails, mail crawlers, etc.

Thoughts?

I have been thinking of a new JL Sahara as a DD, but a new LR Defender in 2 door might be it.
Looks like it comes with angry eyes stock.

Attachments

Reactions: cdtjk

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Land rover what a joke it will be in the shop more that on the road

Yet my client who drives the too end land rover NEVER has issues. We buys a bee one every 2-3 years. Why? Because he puts about 75k a year on them. Never in shop or issues.
Years ago LR had issues but its seems the last 5 years or since new owners, much improved.
Or he is just lucky then.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
A new Land Rover will be $90,000+. Think of all the mods you could do to a $50,000 Wrangler and still be cheaper than a LandRover.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/10/2020-land-rover-defender-jeep-wrangler-specs-comparo/

Starts at $48k.
Comes with 33’s and ground clearance from it appears similar to a Rubicon.

$90 is pimped out.
Seen Rubicons here, loaded and sky roof at $65 before mods and $75k lift, 37’s, etc.

I stand corrected.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Land rover what a joke it will be in the shop more that on the road

Yet my client who drives the too end land rover NEVER has issues. We buys a bee one every 2-3 years. Why? Because he puts about 75k a year on them. Never in shop or issues.
Years ago LR had issues but its seems the last 5 years or since new owners, much improved.
Or he is just lucky then.

he's been lucky then anyone I know have nothing but troubles

·
Registered
597 Posts
I doubt that anyone can modify a Land Rover Defender the same way we mod our Jeeps. The wrangler aftermarket support I believe is the best of any vehicle on the planet.

Also, our Jeeps are not known to be precisely reliable, but we have lots of independent shops that can work on our Jeeps if we want to avoid FCA dealers, try that with a British vehicle.

Reactions: darrello

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
Reactions: cdtjk

·
Super Moderator
5,344 Posts
The new Defender is just a new style cross-over SUV. It is not really a competitor to the JL / JT unless you really didn't want a body on frame Jeep in the first place. I'm sure it will be a nice SUV, but it won't be a Jeep. The new Bronco is more likely to be a competitor to the Jeep. A cross-over SUV isn't.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Resale value on Land Rovers is pretty low, mostly because of the history of electrical and mechanical gremlins. If you want one, might want to wait a couple of years and get it for 1/2 price.
:):)

Reactions: jadmt

·
Super Moderator
23,177 Posts
Jeep people mock LR but they are super capable. Saw one on the dusy ershim when we did it. I have seen LR's in Moab as well. Hate if you want but don't doubt that they can go a lot of places.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Maybe I'm just old fashioned but the original LR Defender is what I consider an ultimate adventurous competitor to the jeep. Glorified look-alike SUVs don't excite me nor will last long on the trails. Poor reliability, expensive repairs are a LR trait that makes it difficult to own one.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts