Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, how hard is it going to be for me to find a 1971 or earlier CJ-5? That's become my new life goal!

·
Registered
221 Posts
They are out there but the trick will be finding one that isn't rusted to oblivion. If you actually want a Jeep usable in the modern world go for the V6 version and the 69-71's are best there because you should find a T14 transmission rather than a problem prone T86AA in the earlier V6 versions.

This is something you probably shouldn't get too excited about and wait until you find something pretty close to what you are looking for. A Jeep with a lot of rust never pencils out and even if you manage to patch panel the tub back together, they really aren't stock any longer.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Also...... you might want to SIT in one .... before putting too much time into FINDING one to buy........ they are VERY tight between the Steering wheel and seat......

The 74 I had was cut up pretty bad in order to move the driver seat back.....

use search tempest.... usually where I find mine.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, and, live and be well, I'll paint it the same yellow as the 1960s Regular Wheels Matchbox #72 CJ5 Jeep, and finish the seats in that Matchbox red vinyl. That was my first intro to Jeeps and still one of my favorite Matchbox cars. That's the dream anyway.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also...... you might want to SIT in one .... before putting too much time into FINDING one to buy........ they are VERY tight between the Steering wheel and seat......

The 74 I had was cut up pretty bad in order to move the driver seat back.....

use search tempest.... usually where I find mine.....
You are right. Extremely tight fit! I found one beautifully restored at a good price. I fit in it but just wonder how uncomfortable it'll be to ride.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
If you are not opposed to modifying.... you can cut out the driver side rear wheel well and gain 2-6 inches of room....... needs to be body worked not to be UGLY......

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The guy selling it said you can move the seat back on the frame. Just drill new mounting holes in it. He thinks seat has about 2 inches further it found go back if remounted. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
You need to LOOK and see......the fender well USUALLY is the limiting factor here.... NOT the seat rails.... if it were just the seat rails..... half of all CJ5s would NOT have the fender wells cut out.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You need to LOOK and see......the fender well USUALLY is the limiting factor here.... NOT the seat rails.... if it were just the seat rails..... half of all CJ5s would NOT have the fender wells cut out.....
Noticed that yesterday when I looked at it again. But I'd really not like cutting the fender wells up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts