Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a lift on my 94 wrangler with a 2.5. I currently have 30x9.50 bighorn tires and would like to lift 2 to 2.5 inches and move up to a 31x10.50. What is the best kit for the money, looked a pro comp on sale would be about 575 from 4 wheel parts, all opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ashley

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
I have the Rough Country 4" lift with 31x10.5 tires and love the ride and look of the lift. It is the same cost as their 2" lift. ($449.00)

Take a look at the lift reviews thread on top of this page for what people like/dislike.

Jeff

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about SYE or CV driveshafts? I really don't want to change all of that right now, I was under the impression you need them for 4 inches, not for 2 or 2.5.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I heard it is a questionable gain due to amount of stress put on springs. Never worked with it myself though

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
What about SYE or CV driveshafts? I really don't want to change all of that right now, I was under the impression you need them for 4 inches, not for 2 or 2.5.
When I did my install, I used the transfer case drop spacer that came with the lift. I wheel as often as I can and the Jeep gets a bit of abuse. So far, no vibes or anything to that effect. I do plan on doing a SYE in the future and removing the drop spacer at that time. The RC 4" lift is the most bang for the buck lift out there and most people that start with a 2" lift eventually go up to a 4" lift anyway. Which ever choice you make, good luck with it and post up some before and after pics.

Jeff

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I am probably going with the RC 4 inch lift next week. How much lift did you gain with this kit, I have heard as much as 5 inchs over stock, also how do you think the 30 inch tires will look with this lift?

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
When I did my install, the factory springs were a bit flat and worn out. I could not fit my fist between the 31 and the fender flair. After the lift, I had a good 7" gap between the tire and fender flair.

Jeff

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How well do you think the 4 cylinder will do with 32x11.50 tires? Also, those of you buying rims now, are you buying 15's for the price or going up to 16's for more tire options?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I did the 2.5 RC kit on my 95 YJ and have had nothing but issues. The kit installed easy enough, and the instructions weren't all that bad, but I vibrations ensued. The 2.5 inch kit does not come with a TC drop and RC was surprised that I had vibes given the small amount of lift. I tried to lower the TC kit using shims and grade 8 bolts, but could not get rid of the vibes completely.
So, I called JB and ordered an SYE. They were pretty convinced that all YJs need an SYE with any amount of lift, and because of the problems I had I agreed. So, I just finished installing the SYE along with a Tom Woods, (great guy, btw) custom driveshaft and things definitely got better. HOWEVER, I still have vibrations over 50 mph.
I don't think I'd have issues with a lift if the RC kit would have gone in as advertised, but knowing what I know now, I would advise anyone contemplating a lift to consider the whole package of suspension, SYE, custom driveshaft and any other item required to troubleshoot out the vibrations that one MAY encounter.

·
Registered
924 Posts
When I did my install, I used the transfer case drop spacer that came with the lift. I wheel as often as I can and the Jeep gets a bit of abuse. So far, no vibes or anything to that effect. I do plan on doing a SYE in the future and removing the drop spacer at that time. The RC 4" lift is the most bang for the buck lift out there and most people that start with a 2" lift eventually go up to a 4" lift anyway. Which ever choice you make, good luck with it and post up some before and after pics.

Jeff
I've had my 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift since October. LOVE IT! Pics on profile.

31's would look good. 33's would look better IMO, but I def would not go smaller than 31's.

·
Registered
853 Posts
post the item or the seller, would ya please?

·
Registered
853 Posts
that's a TJ kit. Is it still a YJ forum?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts