Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright im sure you have all heard this a million times, but im a newb and want to lift my yj. i want to do a 4" to get 33's under there. i went to a 4x4 place in town and he said go with rubicon express. im kinda on a tight budget, but i would rather spend the extra dollar to get quality rather than something that is going to fall appart on me. so what is the wisdom out there. and is there anything else that i need to do other than just lifting it, ie. driveshaft, gears...and the effects of 33's.

Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
alright im sure you have all heard this a million times, but im a newb and want to lift my yj. i want to do a 4" to get 33's under there. i went to a 4x4 place in town and he said go with rubicon express. im kinda on a tight budget, but i would rather spend the extra dollar to get quality rather than something that is going to fall appart on me. so what is the wisdom out there. and is there anything else that i need to do other than just lifting it, ie. driveshaft, gears...and the effects of 33's.

Thanks
The more you deviate from the original spacing and clearances the jeep was designed with the more you will have to do to it. A four inch lift will probably require that you do a tranny drop to keep your drive line as in line as possible. Most likely you will need different shocks and could go through U joints like candy. A lift is not something to do just for looks , in my opinion, or just to run bigger tires. Do you really do the type of wheeling where you need to run that kind of money?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just started wheeling it last weekend and am planning to do it much more often now. im planning on going to holister hills and o the anza-borrego. a lot of lift kits come with what they say is everything you need to lift it, is that true, for example the rubicon express 4" lift

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Rubicon Express is one of the better names out there and their kit should be "complete". There are, of course, other things that could be done to make everything work a little better, but the kit will come with everything you need to lift your Jeep safely and reliably. As GrandpaJeeper pointed out, you are putting more stress on a lot of parts than they were originally designed for. Your lift and tires are pretty mild so you will be just fine.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
a lot of lift kits come with what they say is everything you need to lift it, is that true, for example the rubicon express 4" lift
Not really - for that lift you'll need a slip yoke eliminator and CV style driveshaft... that will be another $500-600.... then you need tires :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts