Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow TJ/LJ owners!

Last week, I purchased a 2006 Unlimited Rubicon with no soft top or soft top equipment to speak of.

End goal: I need advice from you folks! Either, 1) A new complete frameless soft top, or 2) a new soft top that I can mount atop a used soft top frame from a salvage yard is in the cards for me.

My last Wrangler was an '05 TJ, and for some reason I have an extra set of factory door surrounds and an extra soft top frame for it (complete with the header bar), if I can use some portion of it to help my cause.

Earlier this afternoon, I was 8 seconds away from buying a Rampage sailcloth frameless soft top when deterred by one of the parts counter guys at AutoNation Jeep -- he told me that it's hell to remove them, due to a bolt-on header bar rather than the OEM snap-in header.

Ease of removal is paramount, as I really only drive my Wranglers when I can take the top off. Cost is also a concern, I don't want to go hog-wild. I have found a used LJ soft top frame & hardware for $150 in Ft. Collins (90 minutes north of Denver)

So, what would you do?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I really like the factory LJ soft top with the sun rider feature. I'm not familiar with the aftermarket top that are available, but if you can score an OEM top that 's in good condition for only $150 I'd have to say snatch it up before it's gone.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'd piece together a used factory top from CL /Ebay. It's the most versatile and longest lasting. I put mine together for about $300, and it looks new.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I went with Bestop Trek Top NX and I really liked it. Sometimes you can find them used.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm leaning towards keeping the OEM soft top. Seems to be the most versatile AND it folds down without having to be completely removed. My only gripe is when the 3 rear windows are off the corner pieces tend to flap in the wind and are beginning to fray a bit :\

Edit: I've heard "you get what you pay for" in relation to the Rampage soft top... Just food for thought

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is what I'm running on my LJ:

Jeep Wrangler LJ - Jeep & SUV Tops

It came with the Bestop Trektop NX that I just didn't like (oddly enough I didn't like it BECAUSE of the Sunrider feature). LOVE my Softopper.
Just got my Softopper that fits with factory surrounds. I have not installed it but after doing a ton of research, including talking with many owners of different tops here [Thank you!], I went with the Softopper for my LJ. Looking forward to installing this weekend!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts