Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. First post here. I owned some Jeep Wranglers back in the 90s but have been without for about 20 years now. I will be taking delivery of a new JLU in about three weeks and I am looking for recommendations for a hardtop hoist to remove and store our hardtop. In the past, I only had soft tops, so I have no experience with hoist systems. I don't need a power hoist, manual would be fine. I was looking at this one and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it or could recommend another one that I should check out for sure? Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to learning more from all you experienced Jeepers.

RedRock Hardtop Hoist

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
That seems really expensive for four straps that you can get at any Home Depot. I just installed a Harken Hoister in my garage which uses a pulley system to lift it out of the way.

Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info and the welcome. I spent some time this afternoon watching some videos on YouTube, and I think a DYI solution will work out best for us. My biggest concern will be finding the best hooks to attach the straps to the top without damaging the top at all. I'm sure Lowes or Home Depot will have something that will work.

We're in Grand Junction, Colorado and are seriously looking forward to some easy to moderate wheeling all along the western slope and into the Moab area. I'm lovin' this retirement vibe! Every day is a Saturday! :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Like BirchyBoy said, you can get decent ratcheting tie down straps for much cheaper. Just be careful with any weatherstripping you may run a strap across. You can use a towel or a pool noodle between the strap and weatherstripping to give it some padding. I bought the Lange power hoist. I love that thing. Top is off/on in no time. After I bought it and saw all the parts included, I found you could also DIY this same type of winch lift with parts from Home Depot, Harbor freight, etc. for probably half the cost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts