Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, finally gonna nite the bullet and buy a toy for myself. I have a new bronco on order, but I’ve always been a Mopar guy. Wife and I currently own 2 dodge trucks (3 total in the last 15 years), so I’m really thinking of just buying a wrangler instead. Local dealer has a nice new Sahara Ecodiesel. Anyone own one? It worth the extra price tag over the 3.6 v6? We will be doing some off-roading with it for sure, and plan on lifting it with new wheels/tires ASAP. We do with every truck we buy. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
60,024 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don’t have an EcoD Jeep, but i do drive a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. I’ve put65k trouble free miles on mine and it is a great truck. With that said, my recommendation would be based on how you drive. Modern, emissions controlled diesels like to RUN, at speed. The longer runs you make, the better they work. For short haul stuff they do not get hot enough for the emissions systems to work as designed, and most folks who have trouble with ANY modern diesel are the folks that never let the engine get hot. If you drive a couple miles to work and a couple back home, a modern diesel is not for you. On the other hand, if you drive 15 miles each way, especially “Highway” miles, you will love it. I am a big diesel fan (we run two of them0 but when my son was asking about one i told him, based on his driving habits, that he would be better off with a gas burner. Look at your driving habits and then decide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t have an EcoD Jeep, but i do drive a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. I’ve put65k trouble free miles on mine and it is a great truck. With that said, my recommendation would be based on how you drive. Modern, emissions controlled diesels like to RUN, at speed. The longer runs you make, the better they work. For short haul stuff they do not get hot enough for the emissions systems to work as designed, and most folks who have trouble with ANY modern diesel are the folks that never let the engine get hot. If you drive a couple miles to work and a couple back home, a modern diesel is not for you. On the other hand, if you drive 15 miles each way, especially “Highway” miles, you will love it. I am a big diesel fan (we run two of them0 but when my son was asking about one i told him, based on his driving habits, that he would be better off with a gas burner. Look at your driving habits and then decide.
Thanks for the help. I live 15 mins from the closest town (30 mins to closest Walmart or such), and I drive 45 miles one way for work 6 days a week. We’d probably take this to galavant and such. Seems like it might be a good fit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like you’d be a good fit for a diesel! You will love the torque, acceleration and mpg’s. If you are going to keep it for a few years the EcoD Would be a treat for you.

·
Super Moderator
9,439 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I don’t have much to say much about the EcoDiesel, but a Sahara is a fine choice! I am the happy owner of one.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like you’d be a good fit for a diesel! You will love the torque, acceleration and mpg’s. If you are going to keep it for a few years the EcoD Would be a treat for you.
We don’t get rid of vehicles. My wife has The old Chrysler max care warranty on her 08 mega cab, which covers almost any engine, powertrain repairs needed etc. For just $100 deductible, so we will keep the vehicle probably forever. Our other dodge we have had for 12 years as well

·
Registered
29 Posts
You’ll love the ecodiesel then. Just as an aside, look for def at the pump at truck stops, currently paying $2.69/gallon vs 19.00 for 2 1/2 gallon jugs. A much better deal. My 4x4 Ram 4 dr pickup will break 30 mpg on the highway. The Jeep should do at least as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You’ll love the ecodiesel then. Just as an aside, look for def at the pump at truck stops, currently paying $2.69/gallon vs 19.00 for 2 1/2 gallon jugs. A much better deal. My 4x4 Ram 4 dr pickup will break 30 mpg on the highway. The Jeep should do at least as well.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Diesels don't make much sense on rigs that don't tow huge loads anymore. The uplift of the cost of the eco diesel, the reduction in the size of the fuel tank to only 18.5 gallons, the increase in the maintenance costs, DEF fluid, and the general inflated price of diesel over gasoline have made diesel less attractive. I love the torque of the eco-diesel but I don't have a lot of confidence in the longevity of the motor vs the 3.6L. I own a diesel truck as well with almost 200,000 trouble free miles on it, but its from a pre-emmissions era and the 3.0L would run circles around my 23 year old 7.3L. However, its likely that my 7.3L will still be running after a 3.0L sold today is junked. The Bronco is a very attractive option IMHO, but unless you reserved one immediately, its going to be a couple years before delivery. The four door Rubicon JL with auto and the 3.6L I feel is the go to wrangler for new buyers. It is the more mature and simple offering with less problems likely if you plan on keeping the vehicle for the long term. The 3.0L might be just fine, but only time will tell and that diesel emissions equipment is complicated and expensive to repair. Deleting it is an option, but your are always an election away from getting screwed.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a new High Altitude with the diesel and love it. Love the power. Love the sound. I didnt buy it because of any economical advantage. I bought it for fun. And it is fun.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
On a whim 15 years ago or so I bought a vw with a diesel due to a long commute and came away convinced there is just zero reason not to put diesels in every vehicle. 200k miles later when I sold it it ran as perfect as the day I bought it. Power plus mpg, whats not to like. I honestly wish diesel was available in every vehicle. I waited 3 years to buy my next wrangler simply waiting on the deisel only to be left disappointed it wasn't offered in the 2 door so I gave up and have another gas engine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
On a whim 15 years ago or so I bought a vw with a diesel due to a long commute and came away convinced there is just zero reason not to put diesels in every vehicle. 200k miles later when I sold it it ran as perfect as the day I bought it. Power plus mpg, whats not to like. I honestly wish diesel was available in every vehicle. I waited 3 years to buy my next wrangler simply waiting on the deisel only to be left disappointed it wasn't offered in the 2 door so I gave up and have another gas engine.

Thats the problem with modern diesel. They don’t make them like that anymore because its illegal. With everything they need to do to meet emissions it would not fit in a 2 door. That vw had the last great diesel engine allowed in the united states and it turned out even that engine was illegal and it costs vw billions.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Thats the problem with modern diesel. They don’t make them like that anymore because its illegal. With everything they need to do to meet emissions it would not fit in a 2 door. That vw had the last great diesel engine allowed in the united states and it turned out even that engine was illegal and it costs vw billions.
Is the engine compartment of the JLU larger than the JL? The front end looks the same to me? I clearly am not aware of what is required, but diesel engines are alive and well in trucks, from what you are saying I assume its just because they have large engine compartments. Such a shame. Im not being a poser, I really came away from that experience feeling if I had an option I would always take the diesel every time. I do have to chuckle a little about the idea that a 2006 engine is not "modern". That seems like yeaterday to an old timer like me :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Is the engine compartment of the JLU larger than the JL? The front end looks the same to me? I clearly am not aware of what is required, but diesel engines are alive and well in trucks, from what you are saying I assume its just because they have large engine compartments. Such a shame. Im not being a poser, I really came away from that experience feeling if I had an option I would always take the diesel every time. I do have to chuckle a little about the idea that a 2006 engine is not "modern". That seems like yeaterday to an old timer like me :)

Its the exhaust, def tank and particulate filters that don’t fit in the two door. They even had tO shrink the size of the fuel tank in the 4 door. The whole deal with the vw tdi is that vw claimed they could meet the emission standards without all the extra BS the every other manufacturer had to, but they just lied.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I remeber that. Not everywhere are the emissions required. I lived in Bayfield, O for a few years, and there were no emissions requirements in our county. Nor did your vehicle have to pass an emissions test to be registered. "Rolling coal" was a local sport :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I remeber that. Not everywhere are the emissions required. I lived in Bayfield, O for a few years, and there were no emissions requirements in our county. Nor did your vehicle have to pass an emissions test to be registered. "Rolling coal" was a local sport :)

What is accepted is not legal. I'm not saying you can't get away with breaking Federal law, but you are continuously at the mercy of an election or a ambitious EPA employee from being royally screwed. God for bid you want to sell a vehicle to a willing buying in another state or city with tighter rules. In either case, you still have to pay for all the stuff you will later delete, and then you have to store it all incase the party ends one day and you need to go back to being legal.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Interesting. So I guess local jurisdictions can set their own standards. It was a surprise to me when we moved there that there were no emissions requirements. And the state laws actually encourage you to drive a polluting junker. Registration fees there are set based on the age and original cost of the vehicle. So a new vehicle can cost you a thousand bucks to register. An old junker cost you less than $100. With no emissions requirements, you see a LOT of really old diesel trucks on the road blowing black smoke. Many on purpose. lol

1 - 20 of 43 Posts