Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Interesting. So I guess local jurisdictions can set their own standards. It was a surprise to me when we moved there that there were no emissions requirements. And the state laws actually encourage you to drive a polluting junker. Registration fees there are set based on the age and original cost of the vehicle. So a new vehicle can cost you a thousand bucks to register. An old junker cost you less than $100. With no emissions requirements, you see a LOT of really old diesel trucks on the road blowing black smoke. Many on purpose. lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Not true. Jurisdictions can devise inspection standards. These inspections standards do not have to insure compliance of federal law unless the jurisdiction has been flagged by the EPA for poor air quality. So a place like Lubbock can role coal but a place like Houston cannot because once a year your diesel is tested in Houston and surrounding counties. Rolling coal in either jurisdiction is illegal, but only Houston must verify proper emissions equipment after the 2004 model year. I own a 1997 Ford F250 7.3L Powerstroke. I have zero emissions testing and I live in Austin where testing is required. My truck is exempt because it is pre 2003. I bought my truck in 2002 and have seen the changes in the diesel game as they unfolded. I love my 1200lb cast iron 7.3L engine that is basically a honey badger and will never die. They average 400,000 miles between rebuilds and there are many that go beyond 1 million. This engine was used in school buses, dump trucks, and 28,000lb deliver trucks and I can buy OEM parts from Ford or Navistar/International. If I ever need to buy a new truck its going to be a gasser for sure because diesel is simply not compelling in a new vehicle anymore.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As noted the issues would be finding space for DEF tank while still keeping a large enough fuel tank to have decent range.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
This has been eye opening. Reading up on this now. I never heard of a DEF tank or any of this nonsense until this thread. When did this def tank become a requirement?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
As noted the issues would be finding space for DEF tank while still keeping a large enough fuel tank to have decent range.
Or the giant particulate filter/reheater that the DEF is injected into. Its huge and needs tons of clearance since it gets so hot.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Or the giant particulate filter/reheater that the DEF is injected into. Its huge and needs tons of clearance since it gets so hot.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention, makes for excellent reading. In some ways for those conscience about emissions themselves, it actually makes the diesel more compelling! Certainly gets you further than an electric you have to sit and wait to charge every couple hundred miles. Good stuff!

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Have another question for you experts on this. I was reading that it will freeze at 12 degrees. In Colorado I used to leave mine out at the street during big snow storms so I could get the kid to school without having to blow the snow off the driveway before leaving. At 8k feet in the deep of winter we would wake up to 0 degrees or so sometimes. Seems like any water/fluid that freezes in lines would be bad, potentially causing the lines to break. Everything I'm reading says this isn't thing case but doesn't explain why?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Diesel tends to gel not freeze. Most vehicles have a preheater and winter diesel also gets some anti-gel additives. I live in central Texas and never had to plug my truck in or deal with any cold issues though so I am far from an expert on the cold aspects of diesel engines. Diesel has some valid environmental advantages especially in CO2 output. It outputs far less carbon than petrol. Its main drawback is local smog pollution which the emissions requirements of 2005 and 2007 addressed. The trade offs are the loss of some efficiency, higher purchase price, reduced longevity, more required maintenance/complexity and higher diesel fuel costs to refine ultra low sulfur diesel. The advantage of longer range (though somewhat mitigated on the wrangler due to the smaller fuel tank) and high levels of torque from high compression engines are still relevant. Finally, unless the wrangler comes with a supplemental electric heater, in cold climates It takes a good long time before you will have heat in the cab. If I were in the market the 4xE seems far more compelling than the ecodiesel.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
My apologies, not the diesel engine, I'm talking about the DEF liquid. Supposedly freezes solid at 12 degrees and below. I jjust texted my neighbor down the street who drives a 2016 Ram Truck with a cummins engine and asked him if his DEF freezing causes any issue. His answer: "what is DEF"? I said, the stuff you have to put in your truck for emissions. "No idea what you are talking about". I got nothing.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
My apologies, not the diesel engine, I'm talking about the DEF liquid. Supposedly freezes solid at 12 degrees and below. I jjust texted my neighbor down the street who drives a 2016 Ram Truck with a cummins engine and asked him if his DEF freezing causes any issue. His answer: "what is DEF"? I said, the stuff you have to put in your truck for emissions. "No idea what you are talking about". I got nothing.
Thats funny since the dash has a gauge for the tank and the truck will go into limp mode if you run out.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Thats funny since the dash has a gauge for the tank and the truck will go into limp mode if you run out.
Haha. We've been texting about it. He bought it from a dealer here who programmed it for him not to shut the engine off. Dealer told him the vehicle will run fine without it and since we aren't required to do safety/emissions testing there is no need for it. There you have it. So he has no idea what the impact of it freezing in lines is because he doesn't have any.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Haha. We've been texting about it. He bought it from a dealer here who programmed it for him not to shut the engine off. Dealer told him the vehicle will run fine without it and since we aren't required to do safety/emissions testing there is no need for it. There you have it. So he has no idea what the impact of it freezing in lines is because he doesn't have any.

Wow. Like a used car dealer or a CDJR dealer?

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Wow. Like a used car dealer or a CDJR dealer?
Jeep dealer in the town near ours. Things are different in rural mountain towns. Miss living there. Its like that with almost everything. Its like the rest of the world and whatever they are doing doesn't really exist.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The DEF does freeze. But the tank is supposed to be heated to prevent that. At least that's how it is with a truck; I'd think Jeep would be the same.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a diesel car vw tdi Jetta and a gas Jeep. My diesel is a 2014 so luckily I do not have to add the add def My mother has a 2015 tdi Passat and she does have to it. That stuff smells bad too so don’t ever spill it. Where we live we do not have to test diesels for emissions but you do have to test gas cars depending on age. I wonder what would happen if she didn’t add the def?

·
Registered
29 Posts
If its designed to take DEF it will almost certainly go into a countdown mode when DEF gets low. When it gets low enough the vehicle will NOT start. If you love your Mom do not let that happen.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts