Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! New guy here...

Well, I finally broke down and bought a Jeep. I have always wanted a YJ, but never wanted to commit to owning one. About three weeks ago I embarked on my journey and after lots of test drives and traveling, I found a 1987 YJ! She was just sitting on a Ford dealership lot looking waaaaaaay outta place, so I scooped her up for next to nuthin. Well, I knew I wanted a "project", but this girl is gonna need some major TLC. I can't start her without ether, she is leaking from all sorts of areas, PCV hose comes out of the intake, but is draining into a cut-up quart bottle of oil... Anyways, what can I expect form this new endeavor???

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
The PVC thing is easy.

Since you are chasing leaks pull the valve cover clean everything best you can. Stuff paper towels in all the pushrod holes to keep it contained.

If the valve cover still has baffles below the PCV clean them thoroughly. Install valve cover gasket get a blue Felpro on at NAPA and use some RTV.

Replace the rubber PCV lines at the PCV valve and the fresh air intake at the back of the cover.

This will help with that leak and get rid of the overfill crap catch can not necessary unless the engine is bad and that is the way it runs.

While you have the cover off pull the plugs and do a compression test to see what you preferably on a warm engine.

Take a look at he plugs compare to attached chart see how she is running.

After you get the valve cover replaced and run in a little change the oil and filter use good old 10W-30 or 40 it will run that no problem. Then on to the next leaks.

You will find them at the distributor, oil dipstick tube and the rear main seal. Sometimes the timing cover.

General tune-up and use the old style copper plugs they run best in these old beasts.

Radiator and heater core flush maybe check or change the hoses and belts.

That will keep you busy then drive it and see how it does.

Get Haynes manual they have a lot of good info and if you happen to stumble across the Factory Service Manuals from any link on line for free take em quick.

Torque Specs link

YJ Torque Specifications - JeepForum.com

Visit often do some reading lots of great stuff to learn and don't forget YouTube videos a great resource for DIY stuff search and add YJ at the end of everything.

Welcome to the madness it is an addiction for which there is only one cure lots of offroading and modifying your Jeep.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Once I get her started, she runs pretty well. I need to figure out the starting problem though. The carb looks rebuilt with a K&N filter to go with it. I was checking around the wiring to see if the nutter bypass had been done and I think there is nothing plugged into the plug coming from the distributor.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joker,
Thank you for the help! I've made plans this weekend to start that process. The more and more I look at it and think about it, I am dreading that I have blowby issues and I will need to rebuild....I am praying that is not the case. Oh well, I guess Ill find out more after I crack her open. If I do have blowby, what would y'all suggest I do? Anyone ever have the same issue?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts