Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. New member and potential new Jeep owner.

TL;DR - Will Jeep take JK orders after September, given that they will remain in production until Spring 2018?

Brief background: 43 & Married. Had a 2013 Ford Raptor. LOVED it. 2/3 of kids reached teen years. Big, dopey Golden Retriever. Ski boat. Combine all of those and you get a wife who's tired of taking 2 cars to the lake because we can't all fit with the dog, who's tired of taking the 14 year old minivan on city trips b/c Raptor is too hard to park, and who's tired of having three big, loud kids sitting directly behind us and driving us nuts on long trips. Notice I said *had* a Raptor? Yeah, I traded it for a 2016 Yukon XL. Luxurious, big, practical, and about as much fun as driving a hearse (which it also resembles).

That out of the way... the 14 year old van is overdue to be replaced. Got the go ahead to get a Jeep, since they're a lot cheaper than another truck and wife will gladly take the Yukon.

My off-roading will be minimal. Fire access roads, remote camping spots, screwing around in the snow, etc. No rock crawling or very technical stuff.

I just test drove a 2017 Rubicon, 6 speed. So much fun to drive. Loved it. Loved the aesthetics, too - reminded me of my Raptor!

I realize Rubicon is overkill for the off-roading I'll do, but it's what the dealer had on the lot in a 2 door and I jumped at the chance to take it for a spin. Was not disappointed.

- Initial thought is buy used. Looks like resale value is high, though, so not a huge savings (I have access to Affiliate Pricing, which is 1% under invoice).

- Worried about the beating a used Jeep may have taken. No real way to know how it may have been abused off-road.

- I have to have 6 speed manual and side airbags (going to teach my 15 year old to drive, soon, and this would be the vehicle he'd learn on). Prefer cloth seats so I can put in Katzkin and lumbar support. Tough to find this combo (along with colors I prefer), as most inventory either has a ton of other options I don't want/need, or no airbags. (FWIW, I'm not interested in debating airbag value - I've studied both sides and made up my mind that I want them.)

Sooo... what do I do? Buy used and save some $$ (that I can re-invest later, if desired), order a new JK right now in case it's no longer possible next month, or wait an be a JL guinea pig? (I'm extremely reticent to buy a 1.0 version of a new platform. Plus, ESS sounds like it'd annoy the crap out of me.)

Finding the right used rig could take months, and I'm antsy. :)

"Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one, and most of them stink." Send me yours, anyway!

Registered
Since you are asking, I would buy new, now! :D

About the yukon XL, that's my wife's dream vehicle but seems like she will settle for the regular non-XL version. Luckily she does not like driving the jeep.

Registered
If you have a quality dealer nearby who's interested in making a happy customer instead of just a sale, let them know your must haves and they should be able to find it for you without having to order, especially if you give them more than 1 color option. I'm lucky enough to have know my salesman for 20+ years, so when my search started, they found my Jeep at a dealer in another state. They picked it up for me and delivered to my house since it wasn't ready when we were available to sign the paperwork.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have a quality dealer nearby who's interested in making a happy customer instead of just a sale, let them know your must haves and they should be able to find it for you without having to order, especially if you give them more than 1 color option.
I'm certainly going to give them a chance, but I struck out last year buying the Yukon. (I had to have 18" wheels and tow package with bucket seats, a combo GM only had via special order.) Also, for a dealer to get inventory from another dealer they have to get them to agree to a swap. That's not necessarily an easy thing to accomplish.

We'll see, though! So far, 2 votes for a new JK...

Premium Member
New. For more reasons than I want to type but will if needed.

I DD a Rubicon HR (I own Four Jeeps, don't ask).... Great vehicle.

I have owned a Suburban as well as a ridiculous number of other large SUV's

Buy a New Jeep and get the one You want.

Welcome to WF

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
About the yukon XL, that's my wife's dream vehicle but seems like she will settle for the regular non-XL version. Luckily she does not like driving the jeep.
The non-XL actually looks a lot cooler, IMO. That said, it has zero storage behind the 3rd row. If you can swing it, get the XL. (Not to mention the XL will fit 4x8 sheets of plywood/sheetrock when the seats are folded. Very nice feature that has served me well a few times.)

Premium Member
The 2DR Rubicon comes standard with cloth seats, crank up windows and manual door locks. The 4DR comes standard with leather seats, electric windows and electric door locks.

Why the difference? They figure (rightly so) that a lot of the 2 DR Rubis are going to be purchased by off road Jeepers while the 4 DR will be purchased mostly by those who wand the DD comfort along with the off road capabilities.

What you find on the lot of a dealer depends a lot on what the order manager thinks goes best on his lot. Unfortunately that means a lot of 2DRs get ordered with leather and electrics. Go on Jeep.com and go through the build a price scenario and see if the website locates any close to what you want close to you.

You can order a 2018, it just won't say Wrangler, it will instead say Wrangler Classic. I don't think the order book for the JL is open yet.

Registered
Another view here for buy new, order it. We started it looking for a used Unlimited, with my parameters as 2013 and newer. Found out very quickly that resale is crazy and 2-3 year old Jeeps were just a couple thousand under new. The wife fell in love with the Hard Rock, but the window had closed for ordering, so we waited a few months and ordered a Recon. We couldn't be happier.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Registered
The odds of finding a used 6-speed with Katzkin seats is insanely low.
Used prices are silly these days anyway, unless you get lucky and find a deal.
Just order what you want.

2018 US order books are scheduled to be open from August 10th to mid-ish December.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2018 US order books are scheduled to be open from August 10th to mid-ish December.

Headed for a Caribbean vacation on Monday. Back on 8/9. I guess it'll be a "Wangler Classic" for me!

We all agree on this sub-forum that version 1.0 of a new platform is nuts, yeah? I develop software for a living, so maybe I'm jaded.

Registered
The 2DR Rubicon comes standard with cloth seats, crank up windows and manual door locks. The 4DR comes standard with leather seats, electric windows and electric door locks.

Why the difference? They figure (rightly so) that a lot of the 2 DR Rubis are going to be purchased by off road Jeepers while the 4 DR will be purchased mostly by those who wand the DD comfort along with the off road capabilities.

What you find on the lot of a dealer depends a lot on what the order manager thinks goes best on his lot. Unfortunately that means a lot of 2DRs get ordered with leather and electrics. Go on Jeep.com and go through the build a price scenario and see if the website locates any close to what you want close to you.

You can order a 2018, it just won't say Wrangler, it will instead say Wrangler Classic. I don't think the order book for the JL is open yet.
My 4 door rubicon has cloth.

Registered
Headed for a Caribbean vacation on Monday. Back on 8/9. I guess it'll be a "Wangler Classic" for me!

We all agree on this sub-forum that version 1.0 of a new platform is nuts, yeah? I develop software for a living, so maybe I'm jaded.
The software bugs in the Renegade roll out are the stuff of legends.

Bring me back a hot Latin babe! She'll fit in the suitcase if you fold her correctly. :angel:

Registered
Because of the great resale value, if you're only buying a year or two old, you're not saving that much. Get new. I'm a strong proponent of "buy a year or two old- let someone else take the big depreciation hit," but that just doesn't apply to Jeeps. I bought new, too.

Premium Member
I don't think I would ever buy new again. It's a utilitarian vehicle not a Mozart.

Every time I drive past the Chevy dealer he's got 5-6 nice JKs sitting on his used lot. Already got wheels, lift, some with bumpers.

You can tell the ones that have been babied from the ones that have been ridden hard. Hey, a bucks a buck. If you save 3 or 4 thousand cash put it in gas.

Registered
I was able to find a nearly perfect JKU that fit my needs on the used market. Granted it was partially just luck and I was able to snag it before it had even been on the lot a full week. If you stay diligent you may come across something similar. It's my first Wrangler as well so, I figure, if I got the bug I can trade it in on a made-to-order 2nd year JL or JT when they're available.

On the flip side, sounds like time may be an issue and you have a pretty thick bank roll so, screw it - Brand New Recon!

Haha, best of luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts