Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am no mechanic. I bought a75 cj5 and it ran for 3 days. After changing the distributor, coil, and the gear on the shaft it runs long enough to destroy the gear again. It is supposed to be a 232 but Im told 258 parts will work. I would like to stay original if I can but am all about easy so "originalish" will do if need be. Could it be a cam gear issue? If so how do I fix that? Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
The distributors are the same for either the 232 or 258 so that shouldn't make any difference.

If you tore up the distributor gear, I would be having some concerns about the condition of the camshaft drive gear also. You should put an inspection light down there and slowly turn the engine over two full revolutions while looking at those teeth. If they are damaged, the only cure is a cam replacement also. You should be able to find a replacement gear for the distributor without replacing the entire unit. However, do not buy an Omix-ada or Crown replacement.

The other concern with this is now all those metal fragments are in the pan and/or oiling system. At a minimum, the system should be flushed using a light weight oil/filter change with a short run time (a few minutes at most). I would likely drop the pan and clean it and if you don't have a magnetic drain plug, add one. This will all be moot if you need to replace the cam as it will all be apart anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts