Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1994 YJ 2.5L (2700 miles on professionally rebuilt engine and home amateur rebuilt ax-5) w/ 8.8 3.73:1 and locked dana 30 with 235/75-15, sagging SOA lift, and heavy ass front bumper and warn 9k lbs steel cable winch. (and chains and tools, and fluids, and pizza, and 208lbs 17% body fat lard ass, and full tank, and spare, jack, and the entire kitchen in the center console)

I got the "superquiete" galvanized mid quality muffler, a new hanger and tightening the 14mm collector flange bolts. Cost me $80 installed "out da door cuz". now I can go 59 miles on 3.1 gallons (Saturday night pizza running around town).

I will double check it again tonight for accuracy.

:winner:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I jumped early. Didn't do quite as good this tank. Several cold starts, lots of idle time, Cheap gas quality (Need mid 89-91 octane due to over advanced ignition timing). Got 109 miles and burnt up 7.2 gallons which comes to 15.1 which is still acceptable considering Its all stop go driving.

For what its worth, I found the nessicary back pressure to be an interesting discovery on my YJ in regards to conservative fuel consumption. I love the muffler. can't hear nothing except a mellow tone only if the hard top hatch is in the up position while cruising. Generally, now I can only hear my front lunchbox locker snagging on the slow hairpins as it split rotates ever so slow on 235/75-15 tires

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Well, its pretty good. I get 19 in my 4 banger and I don't have anything heavy on it other than my self, hardtop, and full doors. Anything is an improvement from 13, right?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
absolutly. Maybe humidity and rain hurts economy. Just came in at 4 gallons for 60 miles even. I run half doors or no doors and hardtop. thats 19-15-15 so far... Was cold, fridged (15-25*f, and dry when I got 19mpg.

Are you in the mountains? Im in the Tennessee appalachians near smokey mtn national park.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I'm in NM, and not really positive on the elevation, but I know it changes quite a bit from my house to my school. It's been pretty dry recently, and mornings are around freezing, but by noon it's over 65. I drive highway for 25 minutes to and from school each day doing 65-70.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The elevation change is 48k to 53k from my house to the school if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Lucky dude. I get 14 in my '95 4 banger, and I tuned up everything possible...except my exhaust, which has more holes in it than Osama Bin Laden.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The elevation change is 48k to 53k from my house to the school if it makes a difference.
Five thousand feet (5K) is quite a difference.The air must be really thin up there at 53,000 feet elevation! Do you have problems with predetonation often?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Five thousand feet (5K) is quite a difference.The air must be really thin up there at 53,000 feet elevation! Do you have problems with predetonation often?
:tomatoes: sh*t, 5,300 feet, not 53k. I must have been tired yesterday...
Edit: same goes for the 4,800.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
143 miles at 8.5 galons was 16.8mpg tonight. so I'm seeing steady 2-3mpg increase with exhaust repair. i know SOA and winch is killing me.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Check your mileage over 1,000 miles, then you will know "About" what you really get.

·
Registered
878 Posts
:tomatoes: sh*t, 5,300 feet, not 53k. I must have been tired yesterday...
Edit: same goes for the 4,800.
I suspected as much, but thought, what the heck - why not have some fun with it?

Especially considering that the tallest mountain on earth (Everest) is only
29K feet tall (from sea level).

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I suspected as much, but thought, what the heck - why not have some fun with it?

Especially considering that the tallest mountain on earth (Everest) is only
29K feet tall (from sea level).
Hey, gimme a break! I had a 12 page paper due on Thursday. glad its over, now I can get back to Jeepin!

·
Registered
59 Posts
1994 YJ 2.5L ....

I got the "superquiete" galvanized mid quality muffler, a new hanger and tightening the 14mm collector flange bolts. Cost me $80 installed "out da door cuz". now I can go 59 miles on 3.1 gallons (Saturday night pizza running around town).

:winner:
Your new exhaust system must have increased your overall system efficiency. As long as you drive the same speed you will see an increase in mileage. My bet would be the muffler creates less back pressure since its new and not carboned up. If you have more power per stroke you need less throttle, less throttle = less gas!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your new exhaust system must have increased your overall system efficiency. As long as you drive the same speed you will see an increase in mileage. My bet would be the muffler creates less back pressure since its new and not carboned up. If you have more power per stroke you need less throttle, less throttle = less gas!
My old muffler had busted at the inlet and it rattled and sounded like vtec could kick in at anytime.

couple more tanks came to 15.1 and 18.8. Cold starts kill 2.5 fuel economy. I got the bottom spring perches off a bad axle housing and welded onto my 8.8 today so ill be back to SUA here soon. Hoping for newer leafs before I swap to all around. Also snagged 1 new rancho rs5168 for my front. Maybe ill go buy one just so Ill have a new pair..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts