Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
The fact that it is stock is a huge benefit. Looks pretty clean to me. 140K is still young for a TJ, especially if its been taken care of. Just make sure you thoroughly check for rust. If it is rust free I'd go for it

Oh, and there is no way those are 33'' tires...they look stock to me. Which in all honesty is a good thing if you are looking at buying.

Good luck!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that was my thought as well. He insists they are 33" lol. But im at about 6k all in for the jeep. Sound reasonable. pending a good check of the frame?

·
Registered
138 Posts
There are other people on the forum that would probably have a lot better idea than me, but from what I've seen other people posting about prices, 6k for a clean, stock 4.0 jeep is a steal. But again - make 100% sure it doesn't have any rust issues!!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
$6,000 seems reasonable if the rig is rust free. Bring a hammer and screwdriver when you inspect the vehicle. Test for dead spots in the frame with the hammer and use the screwdriver to probe the frame. 17 year old TJ from the rust belt is likely a rusted mess.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay. Just got home. Frame was the cleanest frame I've ever seen on a rust belt jeep. Only bad part is this. Below. The rest of the frame was spotless. And unpaintedsl it wasn't hiding anything. I'll go ahead and say I purchased the jeep so what am I looking at as repair time and cost for these body mounts? Or what can be done/ should I be concerned.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
doesn't really look rustless to me....you should take the skid plate down and look at your ''rustless" frame hidden by that. also as far as the body mount goes you will have to lift the tub and cut out the torque boxes and weld new ones in

·
Registered
59 Posts
but IMHO that frame needs treated for rust before that surface stuff gets deep

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes i am going to treat. Also i have seen some videos of people drilling drain holes and blowing out the crap inside with hose- is this a good idea?

And by rustless- i guess i just meant no soft spots and the shackle area where i see most rust are clean. Yeah i pulled on the transmission skid plate and it was solid-however i could see rust in between the plate and the frame. Kind of looked like it was welded with rust- so im sure thats an issue. I will have a welder at work fab something up to fix this before it gets bad.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ANd any opinins on treating for rust (products) such as por 15 or chassis saver- let me know anything you think is best.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts