Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I'm a new member but long time lurker to the forum. I've been saving for a long time and I'm finally at the point where I'm looking for a Wrangler, but I need advice on where to look. I am looking between getting a used Wrangler (2007-2010 range most likely) that meets all my desires such as a lift and larger tires, or a new 2012. If I get the new I will most likely have to wait 8-12 months before any modifications will be possible. Is the new engine worth the cost of waiting for mods or do I need the lift and better tires to really enjoy the off roading? Thank you all very much for your help!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a 2010 jku with 35s, and I would trade it in for a 12 and add mods on in a yr or so if I was you.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Stock jeeps are pretty capable so i would say no you dont have to have lifts and new tires right away, it depends how crazy you want to get offroad. Best thing you can do is go test drive a 3.8 jeep, and a 3.6 and see for yourself if you can live with the weaker engine.
As for buying a used modded, it wouldnt be my first choice. No matter what it has, there will be something else you might want instead. Plus you need to do your due diligence on a modded Jeep. Your more likely to find a modded Jeep has been wheeled hard, than a stock.
If you can live with a 3.8, a stock one would be the best bet, this way you save money upfront, and can then put what mods you prefer on it.
But maybe you can get lucky and find a Jeep with the mods you like that was a mall crawler.

And welcome to the forum :thumb:

·
Registered
214 Posts
i say go new. .
1- you get a warranty
2- you dont know how the previous owner drove it (could look clean but be a mess mechanical wise)
3- don't always trust someone else's aftermarket mods. . there are a lot of jack legs that "rig" stuff
4-my stock 11" did just fine off roading before i added tires/lift ect. . . unless your gonna do some heavy rock climbing i would go new !!!
and last but not least 5- you get to mod it out yourself !! thats the fun part of owning a Jeep. .

just my opinion tho. . happy jeep hunting !! :dance:

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Welcome aboard! I'm with them, get new! No sense in buying someone else's headaches!

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
New. It's more fun getting to do the mods on your own, and you have no idea whether they're properly installed on a used one or not. Plus you get the new engine and a new warranty. Unless the price on used is really great, I'd definitely do new.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for your responses. I was leaning towards new just so I could do all of the modifications myself. I know I'd take more pride in it knowing I built it up from scratch. I have no plans to do serious climbing, but I don't want to be limited based on my vehicle. However, it sounds as if I should be just fine running stock for a while. Any particular advice or things I should look for or ask about in a new Wrangler?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thank you everyone for your responses. I was leaning towards new just so I could do all of the modifications myself. I know I'd take more pride in it knowing I built it up from scratch. I have no plans to do serious climbing, but I don't want to be limited based on my vehicle. However, it sounds as if I should be just fine running stock for a while. Any particular advice or things I should look for or ask about in a new Wrangler?
its always nice when you add a mod to show it off. . what style wrangler are you going for

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Get a '12 Rubi. For your purposes you wouldn't need any mods and the new engine in a 2 door manual trans is just ... delicious :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fdnc2774 said:
its always nice when you add a mod to show it off. . what style wrangler are you going for
I don't know yet. I'm brand new to the Wrangler world, so I don't know much about the different models yet. I know it will be a 4dr because of the family. I don't want to be seen as a part of the soccer mom or mall crawler crowd though. That's why I want to be able to beef it up and toss some mud on it as soon as possible. Does the off road capability vary among models?

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
This is really up to how you'll be using it.

To me, having a newer one that is "all mine" to build the way I want would be preferrable but it will cost more to do that. You get the benefit of not correcting other people's mistakes and the fun of doing it your way.

Now, all of that said, I drive a 21 year old Wrangler that was heavily modified when I got it. There's a lot about what the PO did that I'm not happy with and am changing but I got such a bargain on it that I can't imagine doing it another way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another question, since everyone has been so hopeful, how does has gas mileage between the 2dr and 4dr compare? I'm assuming similar?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts