Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

New owner; A/C only working at high revs?

702 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Poindog2010JKU 
#1 ·
So I just purchased a 2010 JKU, love it! However I’m in Phoenix and it is absolutely scorching out right now. The AC is basically worthless unless the engine is over 2500rpm, when idling or driving on the street it’s basically just a fan. I checked the R134 pressure and it’s dead smack in the middle of the green. I could fill it a bit more, but don’t want to damage anything. Is this just a Jeep thing, or is there something wrong?

#2 ·
So as an update, I decided to watch the AC compressor while just letting the Jeep idle. The compressor clutch keeps switching on and off, so when it’s on it blows ice cold but off obviously does not. Anybody have an idea of what might cause it to switch on and off?

#4 ·
Switching on and off (cycling) is normal. If it's cycling abnormally fast however it usually indicates a low charge, and by the sounds of it.... that would be my guess.

It's best to refill by weight and not pressure. Pressure means nothing if you don't have the outdoor temperatures and the correlating pressure charts.

Empty, evacuate, and charge according to the charge's weight.

One other note.... if indeed it is low on charge then you have a leak somewhere.

#8 ·
So for future readers got it fixed! Took it to my mechanic, it was a bit light on refrigerant but nothing that should cause this. He topped it off, still cycled incessantly. Hooked up the code reader, the A/C pressure sensor was reading way high compared to the actual pressure, causing it to shut off. $50 at NAPA and 5 minutes with a wrench and blows ice cold!

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/TEM207763?searchCategory=c12.s7&searchIndex=Universal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.