Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the proud new, and first time, owner of a 2011 JK Unlimited Rubicon. I ordered the 2011 in Bright White and drove it off the lot yesterday. I ordered everything I wanted, but as it turns out, did not get the Connectivity Group, as I expected. After some searching, this seems to be a common misconception that when you order the NAV radio, it is part of that package. Guess not.

Not a huge deal, but disappointing because I do want the hands free phone, blue tooth streaming, and phone integration with the radio head unit.

I appreciate your patience with this "Newby" and I did search this topic, but I want specific input on whether I can have the dealer add the connectivity group to enable hands free phone, and integration, possibly blue-tooth streaming of music?

If so, how do you control the phone? Do they add the buttons to the steering wheel? Or just connect a module to the back of the radio, add a microphone with control either through pressing phone on the radio unit and/or voice command?

Thank you again for your help, patience and input.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jeeps shouldn't be luxury heck with bluetooth and that crap... That's what cadilacs are for... I'd
Get my money back on the jk and
Buy a .YJ or TJ no air conditioning, tape player if your lucky, and put all that money you spent buying a stock jk into the YJ or Tj and make it one awesome Jeep lifted huge tires, etc.... A real trail rated JEEP!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I ordered a 2011 Rubicon as well in natural green with hard and soft top, leather seats, and standard transmission, I also got the big nav, sat stereo package, but not the connectivity group,
because it didn't matter to me at the time, it now seems, that the thing i didn't know when ordering is that you can hook up a i pod to the thing and have it hands free ie. all controlled by the touch screen in the jeep, well that would have been nice to know dealer.
oh well, I understand you can take it to best buy and the geek squad guys can hook it up with a cable into your glove box to plug you i pod into, and it can charge there too, then you can control the i pod on the touch screen that is prob what I will do,

·
Trying to Get Lost
1,080 Posts
Connectivity pkg is not standard on Rubicons with Nav, but the center console USB port (which normally comes with the Connectivity package on the Sport) is standard equipment for the Rubicon with Nav.

At least, it should be according to Jeep.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Yes you can have it added at the dealer. No they will not add the buttons to the steering wheel. I have no idea what blue tooth streaming of music is or why you would want it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Our dealer told us that our 2011 had the UConnect and Connectivity group installed but it didnt so they are in the process of installing it. The only reason we didnt just refuse the vehicle was we had ordered a deep cherry red Sahara so it would have been months before we received another one.

So far they have added the UConnect module which did include a microphone that they installed by my driver side sunvisor. They are now getting in the Ipod cable and are supposed to be installing the buttons on the steering wheel or a new steering wheel. The new technology is for sure new to them so they are figuring it out as they go.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So far they have added the UConnect module which did include a microphone that they installed by my driver side sunvisor. They are now getting in the Ipod cable and are supposed to be installing the buttons on the steering wheel or a new steering wheel. The new technology is for sure new to them so they are figuring it out as they go.[/QUOTE]

If this happens PLEASE send me a message and let me know how they did this. I went through this exact scenario and had the module and microphone installed on Jan 12th. They told me I was out of luck on the buttons in the steering wheel. It is a whole other steering wheel, which if they are just trading you straight up without a fight, then you are very lucky.

To the original poster, take notice that you also lost the personalization in the Electronic Vehicle Information Center since the connectivity group did not come as a factory installed option.

If I wasn't one month and a thousand miles into owning my Jeep when I noticed all this, I would have refused delivery and re-ordered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Guys,

Thanks to all for your input. "Hands Free" is important to me, well, because I seem to be making and answering a lot of calls while driving, so I was miffed when I found out that it was not included in my new Jeep. Could have been my fault for making assumptions.

I went to the dealer this morning and to their credit, they are adding the module and microphone to activate voice commands, hands free phone and other features that come with the connectivity group at a discounted rate of $305 installed. I did some checking and it is about a 25% discount. However, no steering wheel controls and as noted and no personalization via the Electronic Vehicle Information Center.

For me, the steering wheel controls would have been nice, but I will be able to access most controls easily through the radio unit soft keys. The EVIC again would have been nice, but having had that in my last car, after playing with it for the first month, I pretty much just forgot about it, so I expect it won't be a big deal.

Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and to provide input. When I pick up my Jeep on monday, I'll follow up to let everyone know, specifically, what was activated, how it works and my thoughts.

Best Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same thing happened here and I have been told that you cant get the steering wheel controls added after the fact. Pretty suprising and disappointing.

·
Premium Member
3,182 Posts
Connectivity pkg is not standard on Rubicons with Nav, but the center console USB port (which normally comes with the Connectivity package on the Sport) is standard equipment for the Rubicon with Nav.

At least, it should be according to Jeep.
Depends on the nav system. The Garmin (430N) does not have the remote USB. The new 730N which retails for $1895 does have the remote USB.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So the connectivity group will have steering wheel controls in all packages, but will the basic 130 cd player in a sahara have the hard disc drive or do I have to get one of the nav media centers the 230/330 to get it? Thanks, looking to order soon and need to know

·
Registered
339 Posts
it appears the 430N is not even an option on the order form/site anymore, when i ordered my '11. the only option the dealer had for nav unit was the 730n, even thought the 430n is still on the jeep.com build your own jeep site(guess they havent updated that yet). so i ordered the big $ nav unit 730N and hope it will integrate the ipod directly to the steering wheel and head unit controls without any further hardware.

·
Premium Member
3,182 Posts
Connectivity Group (AAJ)
• Vehicle Information Center (LAZ)
• Uconnect Voice Command w/Bluetooth (RSP)
• Remote USB Port (RSX)
• Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel (SCV)

Media Center 730N CD/DVD/MP3/HDD/NAV (RHR)
• SIRIUS Traffic (RSS)
• 1-Yr SIRIUS RealTime Traffic Service (X9C)
• Remote USB Port (RSX)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts