Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I currently have a 97 jeep TJ in my possession. The previous owner said he replaced the hood, grill, and front fenders from a YJ after an accident. I would like to restore her to her original TJ beauty.

My question is, is the YJ hood any different from the TJ? I have read on google that the hinges are different but my cowl is still TJ and I do not see any signs of "custom fabrication". The fit up isn't right for sure as the alignment is way off.

Also, with tube fenders do you still use the stock inner fenders/splash guards? If so I need a set of these too as the YJ inner fenders were "customized" to fit the TJ.

Any hints or clues into how much of this front end is frankensteined is appreciated. This is my first foray into the world of jeep.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
The fenders, hood and grill are all different on a TJ compared to a YJ. 97 is also a one year only grill and hood, it's the same shape as the 98 to 06 hood and grill, but the latching mechanism is different on the 97. I would look for 98 and up TJ parts. If you lived closer I have a 97 hood and grill I am selling but based of your plate you are in CA.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Looks like the whole front clip is off a YJ, Fix the headlights, get some latches on the hood and tell everyone you have the only 96 wrangler in town.....

Reactions: jjvw

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fenders, hood and grill are all different on a TJ compared to a YJ. 97 is also a one year only grill and hood, it's the same shape as the 98 to 06 hood and grill, but the latching mechanism is different on the 97. I would look for 98 and up TJ parts. If you lived closer I have a 97 hood and grill I am selling but based of your plate you are in CA.

That's great information, thanks bud.

Yeah I am in California, why are you selling your hood and grill? Upgrades?

Also after more research I realize that your stock fenders are sacrificed to the jeep gods for the inner fender when installing tube fenders. I thought I could get off cheaply and just go straight for tube fenders. Maybe I can find some cheap donors on Craigslist.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like the whole front clip is off a YJ, Fix the headlights, get some latches on the hood and tell everyone you have the only 96 wrangler in town.....

Good call. I'll park it next to my 83 corvette.

I don't dislike the way the current front looks, it just has major fitment issues.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's great information, thanks bud.

Yeah I am in California, why are you selling your hood and grill? Upgrades?

Also after more research I realize that your stock fenders are sacrificed to the jeep gods for the inner fender when installing tube fenders. I thought I could get off cheaply and just go straight for tube fenders. Maybe I can find some cheap donors on Craigslist.

I have a 1997 that I got as a package deal for some part I wanted so I'm going to start parting it out slowly.

The tub and fenders are shot but the 4.0L motor, 32RH trans, axles (sadly Dana 30 and Dana 35 with 3.07 gear) and hood and grill (which has some minor damage) and spice interior are all solid.

Craigslist is the way to go on a lot of it people are always getting rid of stock part or old parts to a trail rig they don't have any more. For OEM parts I would look on car-part.com it is a junkyard search engine and it great. I got my RB1 navigation radio for my Jeep for $90.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts