Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a new 2015 anvil Sahara. 35 tires. 30 Dana front axle. 44 Dana rear axle with 3.21 rear. Will this set up be a turd for mainly highway use?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yes. If an auto it won't want to shift into 5th to often unless you manually shift it and if the 6 speed manual then 6th will be pretty useless. You really want to have the proper gear ratio for the tire size and with 35's 4.10's are adequate but 4.56 preferred.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I drove for 12,000 miles with 3.21's and 35's. It is not ideal but as long as you don't live in Colorado or another state where you're driving up mountains at high altitude every day, you can probably live with it until you regear. In the long run, you would want to add 4.56's (if it's your daily driver). In the short run, it will get you from point A to point B.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. That's what I thought. I'm not planning on being a huge off roader as of now but you never know. But still don't want a turd because of the larger tires and smaller gears. Especially for the new prices of the jeeps.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Honestly, the 3.21's are fine for mild off-road in 4 lo. The gears will make a bigger difference on the highway IMO. That said, I traded a 550 horse power Shelby Mustang for my Jeep and didn't lose my mind with the 3.21's. It is the hills where you will hate those gears.

Where do you live?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in Va. I have had several trucks back in the day with bigger tires and lifts all for the look and they were all slow to climb hills and had no power. Not looking to be in that boat again.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Ha, I hear you. Most 4x4 shops can do a re-gear in a day. Pricing is very regional but expect between $1000-$2000.

I wouldn't let the fact that you would need to regear stop you from buying a Jeep though. It sucks to pay someone else to do that much work but the outcome is worth it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Since you're buying new, shop around and look for that exact same model but with the "tow package". That'll put you at 3.73 Shouldn't be to hard to locate one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ye I didn't think about that! I thought that it did have the tow pkg. but obviously not. So that would have made it with the 3.73? Everything else seemed to be what I wanted.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yup, I bought a similar build as yours, 2014 Sahara w/tow pkg. AKA 3.73 gears. 35's in the garage waiting to be mounted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts