Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
The bed looks longer than other pictures I've seen and I'm liking the way the JT is coming along! 2 door+full size bed=Sweet!

Plus is that an outline on the tailgate for a spare tire?

·
Registered
658 Posts
The bed looks longer than other pictures I've seen and I'm liking the way the JT is coming along! 2 door+full size bed=Sweet!

Plus is that an outline on the tailgate for a spare tire?
The spare is mounted underneath. You can see a bit of it in the last pic.

Reactions: Heavy-Metal

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
This truck is starting to look mighty promising. Can't wait to see what the aftermarket brings to the table.

·
Registered
658 Posts
No doubt but it looks like a ring on the tailgate, maybe its an alternative location or just a visual design?
I'm gonna wish for alternative location.

Reactions: Heavy-Metal

·
Because I Can
362 Posts
That looks promising! Was thinking of selling my unlimited and buying a pickup. I might just wait.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I like the idea of a Jeep 4 door pickup...the wheel base looks really long to me though. If the spare tire is mounted underneath I would want some kind of mounting system to move it to the bed of the "truck" and not create a low clearance spot for wheeling.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I like the idea of a Jeep 4 door pickup...the wheel base looks really long to me though. If the spare tire is mounted underneath I would want some kind of mounting system to move it to the bed of the "truck" and not create a low clearance spot for wheeling.
The spare actually looks like its tucked up and away pretty good. That departure angle is what will kill off-road ability.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Just does not look right to me. Too long.

I do not see the purpose of a Jeep pick up truck. If you want a Jeep, get a Jeep. If you want a 4 door pickup truck, then get a Toyota, Ford, Nissan, Honda, etc.

Now if Jeep would sell either a 4 door with a short (say 3 - 4 foot bed) or a 2 door with a 5 foot bed, I think they would really have something. Like the JK Brute.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If this is what the new Jeep pickup looks like I think it will be a hit.
Amazingly the 2 door looks a lot like an updated version of the 2005 Gladiator, only a little smaller. Personally I would like to see the 2 door and 4 door version as shown, as well as a third version like the extended cab Gladiator.
I think the 4 door version will be like the Wrangler and be the bigger seller of the pickup line and would compete well with trucks like the Chevrolet Canyon and the upcoming Ford Ranger.
The 2 door would be sort of like the old Scrambler, a 2 door Wrangler only with a small bed. Not really practical, but would appeal to offroaders who want a short wheel base vehicle. It would probably mirror Wrangler 4 door and 2 door sales where the 2 door version would only account for about 25% of the sales.
Adding a third version like the extended cab Gladiator would bridge the gap between the short 2 door and the longer 4 door. It would be like the extended cab Chevy Canyon, big enough to be practical, but small enough to go off road.
Mid size pickups are hard to justify in a way. Make them too large and they compete with full size pickups, except that performance wise, they can't compete because they are based on smaller vehicles. Make them too small and they are almost useless. That's why I say that they definitely need a Gladiator styled Jeep pickup. It's large enough to fit in a family and haul a modest load, but still small enough to take off road.
To me the Gladiator concept hit it right on the head and would be the best choice if Jeep were to produce only one version.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Just does not look right to me. Too long.
This is clearly only one configuration for the truck, and it isn't any longer than any other similar mid-size truck.

I do not see the purpose of a Jeep pick up truck. If you want a Jeep, get a Jeep. If you want a 4 door pickup truck, then get a Toyota, Ford, Nissan, Honda, etc.
This is kind of a silly statement. If all of those brands thought the same way, you wouldn't have all of those options because everybody would only buy one truck.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
That thing is fugly.....but then again, what do I know? I said the same thing when I first saw the 4 door wrangler and somehow it grew on my until I had one in the driveway.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
If this is what the new Jeep pickup looks like I think it will be a hit.
Amazingly the 2 door looks a lot like an updated version of the 2005 Gladiator, only a little smaller.

The 2 door would be sort of like the old Scrambler,...

Adding a third version like the extended cab Gladiator would bridge the gap between the short 2 door and the longer 4 door. It would be like the extended cab Chevy Canyon, big enough to be practical, but small enough to go off road.
The Gladiator concept has always been my favorite Jeep concept vehicle...and my Scrambler has always been my favorite Jeep. The 103.5" wheelbase is about perfect...right between a JK and JKU. The 2-door JT does look similar to the Gladiator...at least the artist's renderings do. I'd be surprised if the artist didn't take cues from the Gladiator as much as the camouflaged mules that have been seen. I''ll be interested to see what the JT really looks like. Until it is actually revealed, all we have are speculative renderings and amusing musings by self-appointed experts.

And please don't call my Canyon a Chevy. It's a GMC. Its sister is a Chevy Colorado. I drove larger trucks (F-150's, F-250's, Tundras) for many years and finally decided I wanted a smaller truck. I've had the GMC Canyon for well over a year and have been extremely happy and impressed with it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts