Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new rear Driveshaft (tom woods) and pinion yoke (yukon) on my 2005 LJ Rubicon. I recently regeared as well -- about 200km ago

Should I have measured the pinion pre-load after the new yoke? I figured I didn't need too since the rubicon D44 uses shims not a crush sleeve.

The new yoke is slightly shorter. It looks like the shank is the same length but the seal to the u-joint is about 3/4 inches shorter. (Yukon)

----
I ask because I started driving it tonight for the first time and after 300 yards I started getting what sounded like a metal on metal wear. No vibrates. It could be the brakes haven't really investigated too much since it started to downpour. But it came to me.. maybe my pinion pre-load is too much now.. but I couldn't see it being affected.

Perhaps the new yoke is rubbing the pinion seal since it is the rubicon seal with the metal protector... I will check tomorrow and maybe throw some grease in there.

Could also be the new DS..

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
when i swapped my yoke, i just put it on and cranked it to the proper torque. the internals are/were already set and once proper torque is achieved it should be where it needs to be.
the preload was already existing, as long as it's retorqued within the specs it should remain. if you don't reach it and /or exceeded it then you may have an issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts