Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am looking to replace my current Mazda 3 with something a little more fun. I looked at a TJ Rubicon at a local dealer the other day, and loved it. Unfortunately, I think the dealer has it way overpriced.

The Jeep has 10300 miles and is an 04. It has some minor cosmetic issues that would slightly devalue the car, but its a Jeep, so I would say it is to be expected. My major issue is that it has 4 previous owners. Kinda make you wonder why none of the owners kept it very long...

Anyways, they have it listed at 15,500. The book value averages to be about 13,200 through KBB, Edmund's, and NADA. I have talked the dealer down to 13,755 plus tax and fees.

What do you guys think? Is that a good price for a ten year old TJ Rubicon? If so, I can't believe how well these hold their values.

-PS: Thanks for having me here!

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Is the mileage you posted correct? If it is, for a ten year old Jeep it is in Showroom condition, or it sustained major damage somehow not long after the OP drove it off the lot. My suggestion would be , have it checked out thoroughly bumper to bumper, and if it"s all OK, then the price they are asking sounds fair.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
IMO it depends where in IN. you are...up here in the NE that is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY out of line.....but it all depends who pays what for what they want. I SUSPECT that your "Jeep Knowledge" is a little bit limited...and that is fine no one knows everything from the start. Is it a Jeep you want or a Rubicon? and WHY? If that question doesn't make sense, than my previous assumption is even more correct....what are going to do with this Jeep? Need to answer that before you start dropping $10K on a 10 year old used vehicle......;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IMO it depends where in IN. you are...up here in the NE that is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY out of line.....but it all depends who pays what for what they want. I SUSPECT that your "Jeep Knowledge" is a little bit limited...and that is fine no one knows everything from the start. Is it a Jeep you want or a Rubicon? and WHY? If that question doesn't make sense, than my previous assumption is even more correct....what are going to do with this Jeep? Need to answer that before you start dropping $10K on a 10 year old used vehicle......;)
This will be my DD. I don't need a Rubicon (there, I said it) but it would be nice to know that if/when I decided to take it off the beaten path I have some upgrades. I plan on keeping this vehicle long term, even after I replace it as a DD, I would like to keep it as a weekend warrior.

My Jeep knowledge is probably a 3 on a 1-10 scale. I know enough to know what I want.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the mileage you posted correct? If it is, for a ten year old Jeep it is in Showroom condition, or it sustained major damage somehow not long after the OP drove it off the lot. My suggestion would be , have it checked out thoroughly bumper to bumper, and if it"s all OK, then the price they are asking sounds fair.
Crap no I forgot a "0" in there lol. Now seeing that is has 103000 miles, would you say the price is fair?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
How many have you gone and actually *looked* at? Take a look at a good cross-section of what's out there. Try to stay away from anything that is already lifted or modified. Rubicon is a good start, but it ain't necessary. I'd just look for a stocker that has a D44...the rest is easy to Rubi-up on. Did you drive it? Did you get underneath and inspect the frame/underside? Look for rust, any kind of scrape damage or indication it's been wheeled hard. The price...well...'tis the season! Lot's of folks out looking for a "summer fun" vehicle and the dealer may be unwilling to budge, knowing there will be buyers right behind you...plenty of them out there though: there is *always* a real nice one, right around the bend!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts