Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Power steering pump "blew up" last night. The pulley and shaft flew out of the pump while I was going down the road so I had no way of really going anywhere since my water pump wouldn't run without the serpentine on. Any suggestions on a replacement pump? Aftermarket or a factory replacement?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I replaced mine with a reman'd ac delco from Rock Auto. Works perfectly. Not much to a ps pump so a quality reman is fine.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I replaced mine with a reman'd ac delco from Rock Auto. Works perfectly. Not much to a ps pump so a quality reman is fine.
x2. Grab a reman unit or even one from Autozone or Oreilly. I put an Oreilly PS pump in my old TJ and it worked fine for a ton of miles. All pretty much the same.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Installed the new pump finally. Now I've reached a different problem. Power steering "comes and goes". Not sure if I did something wrong or it's a faulty pump. Followed install instructions to a T. Not sure what to do from here aside from doing the pump again.

·
Commercial Member
7,877 Posts
Installed the new pump finally. Now I've reached a different problem. Power steering "comes and goes". Not sure if I did something wrong or it's a faulty pump. Followed install instructions to a T. Not sure what to do from here aside from doing the pump again.
Did you bleed it well?
I filled mine, jacked front tires off garage floor, (engine off) slowly turn lock to lock about 20 times. Leave cap off for a few hours, repeat. Then run engine for short time, 10-15 seconds, top up fluid if needed. Then engine on, and lock to lock for another 10-15 times or so.

Where did you get the pump from? Hopefully it's not a cardone brand.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I jacked it up and turned it lock to lock about 40 times. I did not let it sit like you said. And I got it from Oreilly's and i believe it's a master pro brand. Stayed away from cardone.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it was full when I started it and it is still full

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sure isn't. At least there isn't to much to Do to have to change it. I'm just bummed out I have to get more fluid lol

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I changed the power steering pump. Again. Fixed the problem!! Bad new pump. Replaced no problem.

Reactions: Shark_13
1 - 11 of 11 Posts