Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like I was saying in my intro and hello, I recently bought a 93 YJ. It needs a few things....probably more than I know haha. But thats ok. I recently find myself with a bit more spare time in life than ever before and it will be good for me to be busy with this.

I already:

Changed oil and filter, and added Sea Foam Motor Treatment to the gas and crankcase.

Flushed coolant system, replaced thermostat and associated hoses

Changed spark plugs

Next weekend:

Install new soft top
Install new windshield frame and associated gaskets
Install new rotor, distributor cap and spark plug wires
Install new valve gasket

Bigger Issues

Realized its missing some of the wiring for front blinkers and side markers. Whether its there and disconnected or missing, remains to be seen as of this moment.

The speedometer does not work

There is a chip missing in a plate on the bottom....I have not been able to find the exact name of this plate anywhere. But I can see the flywheel through the chip.
Anyone know what this is called? Any idea if this is one of those "drop the tranny" type projects?

I have it tarped now, constant rain lately, until I get new windshield frame in (existing is rotted out) and soft top on. It dumps water on your feet, which I was reading may be a clogged cowl vent drain. Gonna run a wire with a brush on it down the hole.

Thats about that for right now. I didn't want to ramble on with this in my intro....hope this is a better spot for it. I'll be around lurking and reading.

Thanks for having me and any help provided!

RI

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Welcome to the forum

There is a hose on the engine bay firewall that is from the cowl, clean that out.

Having the right literature will help you along, find the ✘

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much!!!! Ill check that out. Appreciated

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey, I just did the Valve Cover Gasket. I highly recommend the Felpro PermaDry Plus. It's $30 instead of $3(LOL) but it's well worth it. I have a dry driveway again! I put one of these on the oil pan also.

·
Super Moderator
10,505 Posts
Yep! Fel-Pro gaskets. The blue rubber ones.
There may be other good ones, but the blue rubber Fel-Pro gaskets do the job. Why mess with anything else.

Install them dry except for a dab of RTV in the corners of the pan gasket.
The rear main seal gets a light coat of oil, but that's a seal, not a gasket.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Aren't the Fel-Pro gaskets reusable? Within reason...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I did buy the good Fel-Pro valve gasket :)

·
Super Moderator
10,505 Posts
Aren't the Fel-Pro gaskets reusable? Within reason...
I think the key words are "within reason".
When I do a valve cover gasket, I clean the gasket surfaces on the head and the valve cover to shiny metal clean and dry with acetone or lacquer thinner.
Then I spray the valve cover side of the gasket with a high tack adhesive and sit it on the up side down cover until the adhesive holds the gasket in place. Then, a light coat of oil on the head side of the gasket and install the cover.
The Fel-Pro gasket has little metal inserts around the bolt holes so that you can't overtighten the cover and squish the gasket beyond it's design function.

"Nothing is foolproof to a truly dedicated fool", so again, within reason.
By doing the above, it's possible to get more than one use out of a gasket.
Even with the above, you can get leaking (or seeping) on the second use, so why not just use a new gasket each time.

Can it be reused? The answer is yes, but I would reuse it only in an emergency and I wouldn't reuse it on a customers vehicle.
The gaskets are cheap compared to a come back.

The same thing applies to pan gaskets only it's a bigger pain to replace the gasket if it starts seeping after the second use.

YMMV

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Airslot and rushwal

·
Registered
47 Posts
Welcome! I just picked one up as well that needs a few odds and ends. I'll be tackling a valve cover and oil pan gasket soon. Also got fel-pro so it's good to read that I did one thing right this week.

I know the service manual seems readily available online. Haynes is having a good discount too if you use ericthecarguy as the coupon code. Might be helpful to have as another reference if needed.

Good luck with the jeep!

·
Super Moderator
10,505 Posts
kibbis is correct in stating that a separate source of information besides the FSM might be helpful.
My Chiltons manual gave me the trick how to install the timing cover and center the seal on the crankshaft without the factory recommended tool. I prefer the Chiltons manual to the other aftermarket manuals.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Don't forget you can also use YouTube as a source. Lot's of good Tips, Tricks, Pointers hidden among the different videos.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good info thanks all. Kibbis, thanks for the discount code! That knocked it from $25 to $15. Awesome. I did just buy the Haynes manual. I have the Chiltons, but I do remember there being some differences in the past. Can’t hurt to own both. I watch YT vids as much as I can at work haha and there definitely are some great guys posting on there. I am jealous of anyone that owns a nice garage. Or a garage at all haha.

I will be posting some questions later from work. Seems much easier to do from a laptop than a phone with adding pics anyways.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You're welcome RI93YJ. I'll have to check out the Chiltons manual as well.

Got it at last, I've been watching a ton of Youtube videos lately for good info. Any recommendations? I've been watching Jeep Solid, Chris Fix, and various others.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts

Got it at last, I've been watching a ton of Youtube videos lately for good info. Any recommendations? I've been watching Jeep Solid, Chris Fix, and various others.
^Two of my favorites. I only look up what I'm working on. Try to be part specific since so much crosses over to other models.

Reactions: RI93YJ

·
Registered
451 Posts

YouTube channel;

Power Addicts - FixJeeps.com

Reactions: RI93YJ

·
Registered
64 Posts
I really like your jeep, lol see my avatar. I just bought one and the guy who owned it did a lot of work to it. I dont rock crawler but this one is about half built for that. I did redo the brakes as it sat awhile. If you raise it you will have to do a lot of work to it underneath. For now Ill just drive mine the way it is. I explore more than anything else and wont be off trail much. I did upgrade my carb to a webber. Just have to get it on now. Half doors is nice in the summer here. I would make a list.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks BB! I wish I could expand your avatar. My eyes are going to hell haha. Looks sweet from what I can see tho!

I don't plan on raising mine but I guess we will see which way the wind blows.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts