Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I purchased and Chevy small block 305 (I know everyone says that the 350 is much better, but this was a good deal for me) so i bought it and I thought I had the right transmission (AX15) turns out i have the BA 10/5. what are the componets I need to make the swap for the transmission? I do have the correct transfercase (NP231). anyone have an idea on price for parts? I have a 1989 Wrangler with 4.2L (soon to change) Sarhara. I would prefer if the transmission was from a YJ. and i use the transmission from a cherokee or any other vehicle that might carry the tranny?

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Look at some threads for V8 swaps and get an idea of what they are running for a trans. You may change your mind since the AX15 was for a six and yeah I know the I6 has a lot of torque but may not be the best for small block chevy. Also go to Advance adapters web page aand look around for adapters which will help match up any combination you can imagine.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
NV3550 is a trans that is the next step up from an AX15.

As far as what you need for a swap from a BA10(I just did this swap to an AX15).

The trans ofcourse, bell housing, external slave set up, and a pilot shaft bearing.

Advance adapters were the people that i used for all of the "specialty parts" that i needed. If you call and talk to one of their techs, they can get you everything that you need for the swap. You need the same parts for the NV3550 or the AX15.

They sell the adapter kit to change over the clutch from internal to external slave. And the pilot shaft bearing in the back of the crank for the BA10 is .565 inside diameter, and for the AX15 it needs to be a .750.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,
But will the NV3350 match up to my existing tranny mounts? I know with the AX15 will match up to my existing mounts with no problem depending on the jeep style. I was thing that since mine is a yj the tranny has to come from a yj.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Nothing wrong with a 305; only good reason people say a 350 is better is because if you are rebuilding or boosting HP is that it is easier and cheaper to go 350.

Example, rebuild kit for a 305, $300

Same kit for a 350, $200, and to build for performance the ratio stays about the same and the 305 is still limited to how my HP you can get out of it.

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
You might be able to run an sm465 behind it. You would have to see if it can be adapted to the 231. I'm sure there are several different options. Best advice I can give is to call advance adapters or check out novak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts