Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
wermopar.com

Not the cheapest, but the best radiator you can buy for your jeep

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Rockauto.com. Not as good as Mopar but way better than anything at autozone

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
Avoid cheap store brand radiators, they have too many problems. Leaking, poor fit, don't cool as well, etc. I'd stick with the OEM Mopar (which has an all aluminum core) like you can get at a discount at www.wermopar.com.

Install a new 195 degree non-failsafe thermostat too. No RTV, use a paper gasket. A Stant SuperStat would be a great choice. So-called "fail-safe" thermostats in theory sound good but in practice they like to fail in the open position.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Avoid cheap store brand radiators, they have too many problems. Leaking, poor fit, don't cool as well, etc. I'd stick with the OEM Mopar (which has an all aluminum core) like you can get at a discount at www.wermopar.com.

Install a new 195 degree non-failsafe thermostat too. No RTV, use a paper gasket. A Stant SuperStat would be a great choice. So-called "fail-safe" thermostats in theory sound good but in practice they like to fail in the open position.
Jerry is shooting you straight. Replace radiator (if needed) with OEM and run a 195 thermostat as he detailed.

My rig will sit idle in 113 degrees/70% humidity with the AC blowing full blast (top on or off :happyyes:) and sit just at 210-215.

Your rig was meant to run 210 degrees no matter what, I recommend not trying to second guess the engineers. If the Wrangler could have a better cooling set up, it would be out there or be factory. My experience and failures to find something better have resulted in going back to OEM.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Might as well replace water pump, Tstat and hoses while your at it

·
Registered
87 Posts
I went against the grain when I accidentally broke my radiator (tried pulling the top hose off to move some things around and the plastic broke off in my hand) and purchased an aftermarket one from Jegs.com. It's all aluminum, fit perfectly in the factory holes, and so far hasn't given me any trouble whatsoever. I also replaced the Tstat, Tstat housing, water pump, fan clutch, fan, and all hoses at the same time. Jeep sits just a tad under 210 at all times, even in hot weather with the AC on.

Radiators | JEGS

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
If the Wrangler could have a better cooling set up, it would be out there or be factory.
That's an interesting theory to put forth. Hopefully your cooling system holds water better than your theories.

My rig will sit idle in 113 degrees/70% humidity with the AC blowing full blast (top on or off :happyyes:) and sit just at 210-215.

Your rig was meant to run 210 degrees no matter what
So...it always runs at 210 except when it doesn't?

·
Registered
591 Posts
That's an interesting theory to put forth. Hopefully your cooling system holds water better than your theories.

So...it always runs at 210 except when it doesn't?

The only time its not at 210 is when its warming up to 210.

Haven't been back on here a day after being gone a year and already the forum ninjas and trolls are as thick as they were a year ago.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quick question about stock radiators. Hope I'm not hijacking since it seems the OP has been answered. About 3 months ago I bought an 04 TJ rubicon with 94k mileage. Haven't had over heating problems except for one instance. AC was going full blast for about 20 min. and then sat idle in a drive thru for about 10 minutes on memorial weekend. The temp gauge pegged out high and gauge alarm came on. I turned the AC off and windows down. Before driving off and getting air flow through the grill the temp gauge came back down to 210 and out of alarm. I drove the rest of the trip with no AC and windows down. 4 hrs. out of town and then off-roading in Austin, tx. then 4 hrs back home with no other issues. Since that time I have ran the AC some but not longer than maybe 30 min. It has not alarmed since. I was wondering if it was a fluke or if I should look at flushing or replacing the stock radiator. Would hate for it to become a future issue. Thanks for any input

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
The only time its not at 210 is when its warming up to 210.

Haven't been back on here a day after being gone a year and already the forum ninjas and trolls are as thick as they were a year ago.
Plug in an ODBII reader and tell us what actually happens to the engine temps while you make your way around town. You will be surprised.

I also know how to create an environment where the factory cooling system will over-cool and never reach close to 210* even while slow crawling in 100* weather. :)

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quick question about stock radiators. Hope I'm not hijacking since it seems the OP has been answered. About 3 months ago I bought an 04 TJ rubicon with 94k mileage. Haven't had over heating problems except for one instance. AC was going full blast for about 20 min. and then sat idle in a drive thru for about 10 minutes on memorial weekend. The temp gauge pegged out high and gauge alarm came on. I turned the AC off and windows down. Before driving off and getting air flow through the grill the temp gauge came back down to 210 and out of alarm. I drove the rest of the trip with no AC and windows down. 4 hrs. out of town and then off-roading in Austin, tx. then 4 hrs back home with no other issues. Since that time I have ran the AC some but not longer than maybe 30 min. It has not alarmed since. I was wondering if it was a fluke or if I should look at flushing or replacing the stock radiator. Would hate for it to become a future issue. Thanks for any input

Start with the fan clutch. Mine began to fail at about 90-100k miles where the temps would climb quickly while at idle and decrease while driving once the water pump started moving a higher volume of coolant.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
My original radiator failed about two weeks ago at 123k miles. There was no question that I would replace it with a factory Mopar unit. I also replaced the water pump since it was convenient to do at the same time. That was also a Mopar. I will report back at 246k miles. :)

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
My original radiator failed about two weeks ago at 123k miles. There was no question that I would replace it with a factory Mopar unit.
Mine failed at 60k. Top plastic tank split. There was no question that my Jeep would never see another radiator with plastic tanks.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Mine failed at 60k. Top plastic tank split. There was no question that my Jeep would never see another radiator with plastic tanks.
OEM with plastic tanks seems to last about 120k miles before splitting across the top. Too bad that your failed early. Which did you choose instead? What are your expectations?

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Which did you choose instead? What are your expectations?
Mishimoto all metal. It's already outlasted the original radiator. The coolant temp flatlines at 206 under the most adverse conditions. My expectations have already been exceeded. And, whatever happens, I expect not to write a check for a new radiator.

OEM with plastic tanks seems to last about 120k miles before splitting across the top.
From what I have seen, 120k is at least one standard deviation to the right of the mean.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts