Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to get an all aluminum radiator for my 98 TJ. I've been told those are better than the plastic ones.

What brand do you recommend and why? Looking on ebay and finding quite a few for around $150.

·
Registered
221 Posts
When my radiator blew up, I went for an aluminum one from eBay for a little more than the price of a stock replacement.

NEW 1 ROW ALL ALUMINUM RADIATOR 1987-2006 JEEP WRANGLER
(seller:radiators4less on eBay) <no affiliation, just trying to help.

I have been happy ever since, with zero issues over the last year.

I also did the water pump, thermostat, and fan clutch replacement at the same time. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I installed a flex a lite with electric fan on wifes mail jeep stock rad could not keep it cool when she was working had bad overheating in summer months

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Do you need a new radiator, or just want to get an aluminum one? I myself prefer aluminum & went with a Champion & it has held up well so far.

However, many will chime in just to get an OEM replacement. While they are made with some composite material they do tend to last quite awhile. Mine lasted 10 plus years 170k before needing to be replaced.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need a new one mine has a leak in the seam on top and kept spraying my hood with coolant. I was under the impression that aluminum ones last much longer than the OEM.

I'm looking at a 3 row all aluminum on eBay for about $150

·
Registered
221 Posts
Although "3 row" sounds better than "1 row" the three row, has smaller tubes, requires more welding (chances for leaks) and could be more prone to clog with gunk in the future. Since the stock unit was 1 row, I went with a 1 row aluminum replacement. It was also less expensive too!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I bought one of those aluminum radiators off of eBay from 'radiators4less' as pictured above. Have been real happy with it and run it for several years. Previously, I went through 2 other units with the plastic tanks crimped on and both had issues leaking at the crimps. The unit above has TIG-welded tanks so that would no longer be the weak spot.

Although probably inferior quality to a Griffin or Mishimoto aluminum radiator, you really can't beat the price. I've been very happy with mine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Im trying to figure out why my jeep over heats every - time i drive into town. town which is like 70 miles on the highway. i can make it around town for months.

it s been over heating for a week now. cant even get down the street. when i open it up, theres not much indication of anything wrong.

but its like my radiator just leaks and leaks, theres a pool of fluid beneath the radiator every morning? any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Im trying to figure out why my jeep over heats every - time i drive into town. town which is like 70 miles on the highway. i can make it around town for months. it s been over heating for a week now. cant even get down the street. when i open it up, theres not much indication of anything wrong. but its like my radiator just leaks and leaks, theres a pool of fluid beneath the radiator every morning? any thoughts?
If
It's dripping off the front of the oil pan it's probably a bad water pump leaking through the weep hole. Seemed to me mine liked to do it after parked like after the thermostat closed. Was confusing as heck. Park no leaking. Come out puddle. You can borrow a free pressure test from O Reilly's And probably autozone. Basically a radiator cap with a pump on it to help you find the leak. It has a gauge. Don't pump it past the psi on your radiator cap. Good luck.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The auto parts stores can sell radiators and water pumps and just about everything else cheaply and offer a lifetime guarantee. But ask yourself how many times you want to delve into replacing water pumps and radiators. I got an OEM radiator, hoses, water pump, thermostat, and thermostat housing from WeRMopar.com. I figured the last one lasted me 15 years, so OEM functioned quite nicely, actually. Jeeps run cool with a single row radiator. Don't get sucked into thinking you need a three row radiator. BTW the OEM radiators are aluminum cored and we'd be hard pressed to find any aftermarket radiator that can go 15 years. Good luck. I replaced all my parts two years ago and my jeep is running and cooling perfectly. No runs, no drips, no errors!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Been through many radiators. Napa is best so far. OEM is bronze or something. With plasticky Clamped tanks. Napa aluminum plastic clamped tanks and lasted longer. My OEM started leaking at the tank at 30,000. Had a griffen and drake fail way faster. This was when I lived in Alaska. Talk about hot and cold expansion. Anyway napa is still going strong. And cheap. Sometimes less is more money wise. :)

A comparison of the Thermal Conductivity of several common metals (higher values indicates better heat conductivity) is shown below. Silvers is best but cost makes copper a pretty good choice:

Metal: Conductivity
Steel: 50
Brass: 109
Aluminum: 250
Gold: 310
Copper: 401
Silver: 429

Edit. While I see copper as best because silver cost to much to buy as heatsinks I used copper on my fan switch and resistor to draw heat away. Here you can see copper is superior to aluminum which is superior to brass. A copper radiator would cost a fortune and be un economical or stolen. Factory are brass.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I purchases a champion radiator that is all aluminum, think I got it off of Amazon for under 200, all of the welds looked real clean. Definitely would recommend them

·
Registered
63 Posts
bought it

New All Aluminum Radiator from Speed Freaks in LA. Came in yesterday.
Putting it in this week! Cant wait!

Looks really clean.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts