Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but could not find a procedure for breaking in a new gear set. Can some one outline how to do it correctly?
Thanks.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm no expert but I believe I read somewhere 500 miles then change the fluid.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
It's really not that important. Have you ever driven a car off the dealership lot? Pretty much do that.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought o read someplace about driving for a period at various speeds then stopping to let gears cool then driving another amount of time/ distance and letting it cool. Not sure where I read that though.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input guys. I searched again with diff terms and found what I was looking for.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I've seen everything from drive 500 miles, heat cycles, etc... to what @Tweak said. I tend to subscribe to the latter, but I am no expert. I did my own, so I just took it easy on it and pulled the covers at 1000 miles, inspected and changed the fluids. No issues. Make sure you do pull the plug, it is magnetic and will pick up the fines that come off.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I just got mine out of the shop (well my family picked it up). The instructions per the installer were to drive no more than an hour at a time for the first two-three hours, with cool down periods in-between. Yukon recommended a 15-20 minute trip and a cool down. Both recommend a fluid change at 500 miles. No hard acceleration during this time, and not heavy towing.

Depending on who you purchase from, the warranty will depend on your break in procedure. Apparently they can tell by looking at the break if it was heat fatigue or what.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I just drove normal for the first 500 miles without doing any offroad at all. Then took her in to had the diffs fluid changed and that was it.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I think many over think this. As previously stated when you buy a new car you drive it normally. I do the same after a regear. I listen for noises, pay attention for any issues, and check for leaks. If there are none of those I continue to drive. I do not change the fluid after 500 miles. It's not needed.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
I think many over think this. As previously stated when you buy a new car you drive it normally. I do the same after a regear. I listen for noises, pay attention for any issues, and check for leaks. If there are none of those I continue to drive. I do not change the fluid after 500 miles. It's not needed.
Yup, also remember that it has probably already had a few wide open throttle test drives.

I dont even have 500 miles on my gears, been beating the snot out of them for 2 years.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
If you look at the break in procedure for a new wrangler I believe it is for breaking in the gears as much as motor break in.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Every shop or person who has done my gears said ride easy for 500 miles then change fluid and inspect gears ect. I have never done the heating and cooling cycles or the varying engine rpms for engine break ins as it's really not feasible especially on my automatics. No issues yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Depending on who you purchase from, the warranty will depend on your break in procedure.
Exactly. Follow whatever procedure is provided by the installer or gear manufacturer.

I got a custom-built rear axle assembly from ECGS, and it came with the following instructions. Whether they are needed or not, I followed their break-in procedure exactly so there would be no questions at all if there was a warranty issue.

New gear sets MUST be broken in correctly to prevent damage. Not following proper break-in procedures will lead to overloading and overheating the ring and pinion as well as breaking down and ruining the gear oil. Not following proper break-in procedures can be determined during inspection and will void the warranty.

Please follow the below guidelines to ensure a proper break-in and long life of your gears.
• Only use high quality gear oils. ECGS recommends Lucas non-synthetic 85W-140
• On initial run, drive lightly for 15 to 20 minutes then stop to allow differential to cool completely for 20 to 25 minutes.
• Avoid towing and heavy acceleration, as well as vary speeds every 5 to 10 minutes while driving on highways.
• Drive conservatively and do not drive more than 50 miles at a time without allowing a cool cycle during the first 500 miles following installation.
• After completing initial break-in, change gear oil at 500 miles. Small metal particles are normal and gear oil will typically be black. Excessive metal in gear oil should be reviewed by a competent differential mechanic to ensure safety of internal parts.

Post gear oil change and initial break-in: Towing.
• First time towing should be limited to light load for no more than 15 miles, then allow differential to cool completely for 20 to 25 minutes.
• Repeat this procedure for first 45 miles of towing for full break-in of gears for towing vehicles.

PREMATURE OVERLOADING AND IMPROPER BREAK-IN WILL CAUSE GEAR OIL BREAKDOWN AND MAY RESULT IN RING AND PINION FAILURE VOIDING THE GEAR WARRANTY!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts