Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After weeks of shopping / reviews, I pulled the trigger ( or pulled out the plastic) today at Discount Tire on four 265 75 16 Cooper ATPs, and four MB Razors wheels.

The shopping experience there was good, the employees informative / friendly, and when I mentioned this site they took off another $ 50.00. If there was a negative, it's I won't be able to get them until Tuesday, due to the rims not being in stock.

Looking at the RC 2.5 suspension lift to round it out and look good on the beach, lol, and being enough for Florida trail driving.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I also just bought some wheels and tires The wheels are from Discount Tires Direct. I bought the Level 8 Guardian black alloy wheels in 16x8.5 size. The reason for going to a 16" wheels is because I want to try the Treadwright Guard Dog tires. Treadwright does not offer a large 15" tire anymore. Also, for some reason, the 16" wheels were a lot less money. After shipping and a $100 rebate, the wheels cost $56 each.

The guard dog tires are recaps, and after looking at a lot of reviews and studies, they seem to be well liked. The guard dogs are 285/75/16 which gives a tire diameter of 33.2". Also they are about half the cost of a new tire and has some environmental benefits. The downside is this size is back ordered so it might be 4 - 6 weeks to get them.

The wheels came about 4 days after ordering. I test mounted one for fit and it looks good. The only issue is that my lug wrench won't fit into the recessed lug holes. I'll need to carry a 13/16 thin walled socket and breaker bar instead of my 4-way.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I have been running the guardogs for years and couldn't be happier with them. 40000 miles and going strong, I haven't even rebalanced them since they were mounted. Myself though, I wouldn't buy any rim that requires special tools to put lugs on and off, especially with so many choices out there. Personally I love my Moabs!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only went with the 16" wheels due to the Coopers ATPs not coming in a 15" size. i wanted 32" tires, or as close as i could get. I had no real preference between the 15" or 16".

Looking forward to posting some pics soon, if I can figure it out...lol !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts