Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent 8 weeks waiting for my Rubi to arrive...all the time reading about the standard issues associated with what others had done to their rigs that I thought I would like done to mine. Jeep showed up, straight to the shop for 2.5 RC bb, 1.25 bl, spidertrax, and 35's. Intent was for daily driver to maintain on road driveability as much as possible, while looking good, and allowing me to take weekend offroad trips with the kids. I absolutely love this thing, its been an amazing couple days since delivery. I can't help but be nervous though about issues others have had. My ride doesnt ride the way it did before modding... steering is somewhat sensitive, just feels a little more loose than I'd really like. Maybe im just paranoid and exaggerating the obvious differences that come with the mods I've made, or maybe I can tighten this thing up a bit... what do you experts think? Will adjustable front track bar ease my mind? Steering stabilizer? Lower control arms? Shes a daily driver, 90% on the road, the other 10% on any trail or obstacle I can find in an effort to impress my six and nine year old boys! Alignment, toe, tire pressure all where 4x4 shop said they should be. Thanks for taking the time... love my new forum family.

ForumRunner_20140430_220725.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,702 Posts
Two things will help:

1. Adjustable lower CA to adjust the Caster angle which will greatly reduce the steering wandering
2. The CA drop brackets will improve the ride, bump steer and brake dive

If you are that paranoid of DW than double and triple check the joints in the suspension and steering on regular basis, particularly the ones associated with the track bar. Learn to check them yourself as unfortunately, some shops cannot be trusted.

All other parts are optional and will produce marginal benefits.

Enjoy your new Rubi. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two things will help:

1. Adjustable lower CA to adjust the Caster angle which will greatly reduce the steering wandering
2. The CA drop brackets will improve the ride, bump steer and brake dive

If you are that paranoid of DW than double and triple check the joints in the suspension and steering on regular basis, particularly the ones associated with the track bar. Learn to check them yourself as unfortunately, some shops cannot be trusted.

All other parts are optional and will produce marginal benefits.

Enjoy your new Rubi. :thumb:
Thanks Spinlock! Caster is at 2.6° avg now according to alignment printout...where should I aim to get it? New alignment required post control arm install?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,897 Posts
Thats a little on the low side. Mine is 5. But don't worry to much about the DW issue. It is not that big of a problem. A lot of guys on here have never had a problem. Yes the arms will allow you to have more caster which will help tracking. Also run your tire pressures about 30 cold as a starting point. I have Rock Krawler arms on mine. Lots of good ones out there. I have had mine up to 100 in the dirt and hit ruts. No problem with wobbles here. Your kids are loving you about now. Dads a hero. Enjoy it. Watch the front driveshaft boot for getting torn on the exhaust crossover. Not a big deal but it might happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Two things will help:

1. Adjustable lower CA to adjust the Caster angle which will greatly reduce the steering wandering
2. The CA drop brackets will improve the ride, bump steer and brake dive
x2 (just to be clear, either or, not both)

I would also suggest a front adjustable track bar. You can get a Rock Krawler one for $141 shipped.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
53,784 Posts
Is the jeep primarily a daily driver ?
Drop brackets work amazing and have other benefits then just caster.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/jeep-jk-caster-and-lifting-502001.html

Search my threads. I started with the AEV brackets but tested and still run the New Rancho's. Great bracket and easy to install.

Also highly recommended. Shouldered bolts like in the Northridge 9/16 grade 8 kit ($40). you can just replace the two front track bar bolts.
2007-2011 use 9/16 x 2. 2012-2014 use a 14 mm at the frame end.
The factory bolts are fully threaded and 14mm which is small. Eventually eat away at the bushing sleeve. Loosening can oval the holes causing or eventually causing DW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
We did 2.5" Teraflex Coil Lift, also added Teraflex Adj Track Bar and AEV Control Arm drop brackets. Jeep rides, steers and handles any road inconsistencies better than stock. Check your Torque on all replaced or loosened bolts after a few weeks than should be Happy Trails from there on out. Or untill the next Big suspension Mod.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top