Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As this is my first Jeep what did owners do or should have done to their new JL before putting miles on it or taking it wheeling? Swap tires? Undercoating? Armor?

·
Super Moderator
9,429 Posts
Nothing. There’s absolutely nothing you need to do to a Rubicon before taking it on the trails.

Perhaps search online to read up on basic dos and donts of off-roading.

For instance:
  • Keep the vehicle leveled side-to-side as much as possible; avoid getting the vehicle tilted sideways; the Jeep can move forward and backward, but it cannot move sideways.
  • Preferably go wheeling with another vehicle in case you get stuck/break down.
  • Avoid backing up unnecessarily on a trail. We unconsciously avoid obstacles driving forward that we forget were there when we back up.
  • Make sure you know how and practice how to engage 4H and 4L, and how to disengage and engage the swaybar disconnect, before you need to. You will find Rubicon’s 4L a bit tricky to engage. There are helpful tips on YouTube.
  • Etc.
Welcome to the forum and have fun!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nothing. There’s absolutely nothing you need to do to a Rubicon before taking it on the trails.

Perhaps search online to read up on basic dos and donts of off-roading.

For instance:
  • Keep the vehicle leveled side-to-side as much as possible; avoid getting the vehicle tilted sideways; the Jeep can move forward and backward, but it cannot move sideways.
  • Preferably go wheeling with another vehicle in case you get stuck/break down.
  • Avoid backing up unnecessarily on a trail. We unconsciously avoid obstacles driving forward that we forget were there when we back up.
  • Make sure you know how and practice how to engage 4H and 4L, and how to disengage and engage the swaybar disconnect, before you need to. You will find Rubicon’s 4L a bit tricky to engage. There are helpful tips on YouTube.
  • Etc.
Welcome to the forum and have fun!

Agreed. These things are beasts right off the showroom floor. This is mine on an offroad trip 3 days after I bought it. The only thing I did was buy a tow strap in case I got stuck and needed a pull out. Didn't even need it. The longer you own it, the more you'll learn about what upgrades you need (or just want) to do.

·
Super Moderator
9,429 Posts
View attachment 4453658

Agreed. These things are beasts right off the showroom floor. This is mine on an offroad trip 3 days after I bought it. The only thing I did was buy a tow strap in case I got stuck and needed a pull out. Didn't even need it. The longer you own it, the more you'll learn about what upgrades you need (or just want) to do.
Good point. After having owned several Wranglers, I’ve learned that it is good practice to enjoy our Jeeps stock at first before we embark on a quest for never-ending mods.

This helps zero-in on the areas that really need upgrading, and leave untouched the parts that work well in stock form; also helps us appreciate our mods better.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Join Jeep Club and/or sign up for one of these, though only one is left for the year... It costs some cash but you will get good spotters and help if you run into trouble. Its perfect for a beginner.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Well... it depends on what you need to do.

My particular area is in the middle of the Rocky Mountains, and the trails I do are... rocky.

So, I sold my 285s that came with the Rubicon and went to 315s for now, and will go to 37's when those tires are done and I put a lift. I 'need' the extra space for many of the rock gardens I go through.

As such... I'll be adding some extra armour to the bottom... and adding a winch.

Other 'needs' for me are mostly related to body protection... some extra 3M on leading edges to save from road rash.

I added the all-weather floor mats and rubber rear cargo system...

Anyway... 35's go on tomorrow AM. The Wildpeak MT just is not a good tire for me (too much winter here) so I am sticking with my Duratracs...

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
As this is my first Jeep what did owners do or should have done to their new JL before putting miles on it or taking it wheeling? Swap tires? Undercoating? Armor?
Welcome to the forum. I hate the auto start/stop so my first mod was this:

This will take about 15 mins to install.

Where's the pics?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts