Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I just recently purchased a 2004 Rubicon. As of right now it's stock (And the PO even put smaller tires on it :banghead:). I'm wanting to put a 2" suspension lift and a 1" or 1.25" body lift and Preferably some 33/10.50's. Just had a few questions. My budget is around $1500 for everything.

1. What brand of lifts do you guys recommend?
2. Would I be able to install the suspension and body lifts with just me and a few buddies?
3. With the amount of lift I'm wanting, could I fit 33's and not rub under any conditions?

also, pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I don't know to much about lifting TJs, but I do know that the only 33x10.5 tire you're gonna find is the BF Goodrich KM2.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know to much about lifting TJs, but I do know that the only 33x10.5 tire you're gonna find is the BF Goodrich KM2.
Well, i would consider 12.50's if I wouldn't need new rims. Would I be able to fit them on the stock rims?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Instead of messing around with the body lift, which combined with the lift can screw up your shifter linkage...just go with a 4" lift. Several good brands to buy from, go through Quadratec, 4x4, or any of the well known suppliers and haggle until you get free shipping. We put a 4" on my 03 Rubicon, only thing that didn't go right was the dropped pitman arm that came with the setup-steering was all over the place, tie rod was slamming on the diff skid cover...other rubicon owners told me to throw out the dropped pitman and go back to the stock one...and it fixed the problem. I also had a Currie Tie rod setup to begin with...but that wouldn't have affected it to have a stock one. Don't know why they include the drop arm when it's useless. As for tires...there are MANY 33" x 10.5's, just check the pages of tires in the catalogs. I'm running 33" x 12.5"x 15" Cepek Crushers on 15" x 8" steel rims...don't bother with your stock rims if they are aluminum...they won't hold up on the trails. There is also a big difference in weight of the rims-steel are lighter because the aluminum has to be thicker and heavier to get the same strength!
Get some good cheap steel spokers with 3.75" backspace and you'll be fine-to get by state inspection laws on fenders I already had Xenon 6" flares on stock fenders and I'm covered.

·
Registered
908 Posts
you need at least a 3 inch lift to fit 33's 10.5s will work on stock rims.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Instead of messing around with the body lift, which combined with the lift can screw up your shifter linkage...just go with a 4" lift. Several good brands to buy from, go through Quadratec, 4x4, or any of the well known suppliers and haggle until you get free shipping. We put a 4" on my 03 Rubicon, only thing that didn't go right was the dropped pitman arm that came with the setup-steering was all over the place, tie rod was slamming on the diff skid cover...other rubicon owners told me to throw out the dropped pitman and go back to the stock one...and it fixed the problem. I also had a Currie Tie rod setup to begin with...but that wouldn't have affected it to have a stock one. Don't know why they include the drop arm when it's useless. As for tires...there are MANY 33" x 10.5's, just check the pages of tires in the catalogs. I'm running 33" x 12.5"x 15" Cepek Crushers on 15" x 8" steel rims...don't bother with your stock rims if they are aluminum...they won't hold up on the trails. There is also a big difference in weight of the rims-steel are lighter because the aluminum has to be thicker and heavier to get the same strength!
Get some good cheap steel spokers with 3.75" backspace and you'll be fine-to get by state inspection laws on fenders I already had Xenon 6" flares on stock fenders and I'm covered.
Um, I think you are mistaken.... Alloys are quite a bit lighter than steel, and stronger. And while I don't spend any time looking at tires in catalogs, I have found very few 33x10.5's available online... 4.5" bs maximum to fit a 12.5" tire on a TJ, but less is fine....

OP, you and a buddy can install both a suspension lift and a body lift with no problems. Start soaking bolts with PB Blaster now, and do it regularly till you're ready to lift it.... thank me later... :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
04-Rubi said:
Hello all! I just recently purchased a 2004 Rubicon. As of right now it's stock (And the PO even put smaller tires on it :banghead:). I'm wanting to put a 2" suspension lift and a 1" or 1.25" body lift and Preferably some 33/10.50's. Just had a few questions. My budget is around $1500 for everything.

2. Would I be able to install the suspension and body lifts with just me and a few buddies?
3. With the amount of lift I'm wanting, could I fit 33's and not rub under any conditions?

also, pics:
If you had 3 grand I'd say full traction suspension :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After talking it over with the friends that will be helping me, I've decided on a 4" suspension lift and no body lift. Question, as far as brands go, how is Rough Country? They're cheap, i know, but it's what I'm looking for. Are they cheap because they're crap, or do they just have good deals?

Here's the lift I'm looking at:Jeep TJ Suspension Lift

Also, if I do go with the above lift, will I need anymore hardware?

·
Registered
156 Posts
i heard the rough country lifts are pretty good

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Pay cheap, get cheap.

Compare that to Rubicon Express, not cheap, but good quality.

·
Registered
295 Posts
OME, 1.25 BL, 33 10.5s. The BL will make alot of things down the road easier. I find the Rubicon gearing fine with 33s

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
After talking it over with the friends that will be helping me, I've decided on a 4" suspension lift and no body lift. Question, as far as brands go, how is Rough Country? They're cheap, i know, but it's what I'm looking for. Are they cheap because they're crap, or do they just have good deals?

Here's the lift I'm looking at:Jeep TJ Suspension Lift

Also, if I do go with the above lift, will I need anymore hardware?
I run the RC 3.25 on my Rubicon with 285/75/16 (33*11.5, i think) with no problems. I would also order a steering stabilizer and if you choose quick disconnects. I got all of that including shipping for either 425 or 450. I ordered mine in October so don't remember. If you do decide to order RC, order it from them and mention "Jeep Forum" for 10% off the entire order.

The 4" lift might require a rear drive shaft and upper adjustable control arms. That will quickly blow your budget with tires. Don't quote me on that drive shaft with a 4in lift but at 3.25 your good. This Jeep TJ Suspension Lift 3.75 would not require a rear drive shaft because it includes a 1.25in body lift to achieve the height.

Cooper STT is a great tire for your to look at in a 285/75/16. They are siped mud terrain tire that perform well off road and on road. They look identical to Toyo Open Country and Mickey Thompson MTZ but cheaper. This is the best deal I could find on them Tire List | Treadepot.com (just went to the site and they are offering $25 off of a set of any tires)

You and some friends can do the lift easy. Here is an explanation to better understand why you would need a different rear drive shaft at certain lift heights: What is a CV shaft and why do I want one? - JeepForum.com

Here is my build thread. You can see what the 3.25 looks like with stock tires for the rubi and then with the 33's. Good luck to you and have fun. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/introducing-skittles-73317.html

·
Registered
811 Posts
Consider 255-85-16 and a 3" lift and 1" body lift. That makes for a slick setup with the OEM Rubicon rims. AEV makes nice 3" coils.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Old Man Emu (OME), AEV (American Expedition Vehicles), BDS, RCD.

Call these guys:
www.dpgoffroad.com
www.rokmen.com
www.northridge4x4.com

yuppers, not bad at all. pack a beer cooler and get to work, it'll be a long day.

2.5" lift + 1" BL will fit 33s provided you do the following: add 1" bumpstop extensions in front, and 1.5" in the rear. Shock length may dictate longer bumpstops, depending what brand & length you get, but that is typical.

You'll also need wheels with 3.75-4.25" of backspacing. With the lift, your axles will be off-center. before buying an aftermarket adjustable track bar for use with 2.5" of lift, you should read this:
tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit? - JeepForum.com

As for what I run...pictures and detailed specs here:
Unlimited04's LJ Build - JeepForum.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts