Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today got my first chance in the snow with the 2020 JLU Rubicon. I was with a group of 3 other JKs with bigger tires. They all aired down, not me, wanted to try it out without doing anything special. Stock with the KO2 tires.

The results were significant, some of the others had trouble as they did not have axle lockers. I barged through with no trouble at all when front and rear were locked up.

Sweet:locked:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Today got my first chance in the snow with the 2020 JLU Rubicon. I was with a group of 3 other JKs with bigger tires. They all aired down, not me, wanted to try it out without doing anything special. Stock with the KO2 tires.

The results were significant, some of the others had trouble as they did not have axle lockers. I barged through with no trouble at all when front and rear were locked up.

Sweet:locked:
Your snow tires gave you more of an advantage than the lockers.

My Duratracs make me smile even in 2wd.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Snow, whats that? It was 75* here today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not really, the other guys all had off road tires too but without the locker when one wheel spun they lost got stuck. Now one guy had huge tires and they did very well even though he did not have lockers.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Umm, how do you know what tires THEY had ? The point is ....the JL did well in the snow. I've had no issues with KO2 or even the Duelers The duelers have LSD and that makes a big difference.
I'm guessing the other keeps are built more for off-roading and snow so that's understandable. That being said they are probably better than 80% of the vehicles are on the road.
Eads

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Offroading in the snow is the same as off roading anywhere else, in that tire pressure makes a massive difference. Not airing down was a mistake. I rarely use my lockers in snow but I always air down. The bigger footprint you can make, the better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
Offroading in the snow is the same as off roading anywhere else, in that tire pressure makes a massive difference. Not airing down was a mistake. I rarely use my lockers in snow but I always air down. The bigger footprint you can make, the better.

Bigger footprints are not always better in the snow. How much snow do you get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I disagree. Snow is very different than all other mediums.

You can sink in snow.
Snow will turn to ice when compacted and act like a wheel chock
Snow will pack and stick on the undercarriage.

Airing down will help but your more likely to bust a bead by striking a hidden object

Your discounting the value of lockers, They were huge for me as got to out drive the non locker Jeeps with air down tires. And when we were done for the day I just drove off as they aired up their tires.

One wheel slipping makes your rig a 2 wheel drive machine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

We stopped at hill where a bunch of non lockers got stuck in about one foot of heavy snow.

It was fun to watch as one guy would hit it and as soon as one wheel spun he was all done.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

They almost alway are. This is why snowshoes work. They spread your weight out over the snow to keep you from sinking to the bottom. If the snow isn't deep and you want to sink to the bottom, then the lower air pressure helps the same way it always does...grip.

To the OP, I'm not discounting lockers either, lower pressure is just more important.

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
I found lockers can give unpredictable handling on snowy surfaces. They help go forward in deep dry snow; but they can also make the vehicle slip sideways in icy or slushy snow.

One time going up Gold Mountain near Big Bear, California, I was fourth on a six Jeep line: the 1st and 2nd Jeeps found good traction in about 1-foot of virgin snow. However, by the time my tires hit their tracks, the snow had become so wet and slushy that my Rubicon would slide sideways, lockers and all. By the time the 4th and 5th Jeeps hit my tire tracks, the snow was so slippery you couldn’t even walk on it, let alone drive.

Myself and the last two Jeeps found the snow so undriveable that we decided to turn around. Jeeps 1-3 couldn’t understand why: they weren’t having any issues, so they pressed forward. As we made our way back the mountain, the first three Jeeps radioed that they had turned around and were coming down behind us. They had hit a slippery section and their Jeeps slid into each other.

Moral of the story: lockers get you going up to point, but when conditions become slippery they will give you a false sense of security more than anything else.

·
Registered
597 Posts
They almost alway are. This is why snowshoes work. They spread your weight out over the snow to keep you from sinking to the bottom. If the snow isn't deep and you want to sink to the bottom, then the lower air pressure helps the same way it always does...grip.

To the OP, I'm not discounting lockers either, lower pressure is just more important.

Apples and oranges. Good read on Nokian’s site.
https://www.nokiantyres.com/company/news-article/wide-or-narrow-tires-here-s-how-your-choice-will-affect-driving/

·
Registered
946 Posts
I think you guys are mistaken about the snow. Skinny tires are way better. Snow tires do not compare to snowshoes. Not at all.....

(I'm talking about normal snow. Not trying to drive through 3' of it.)

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
I think you guys are mistaken about the snow. Skinny tires are way better. Snow tires do not compare to snowshoes. Not at all.....

Indeed. In “normal” snow conditions, the goal ought to be not float, but to cut through the snow to grab onto the ground underneath.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

They do. This is getting hilarious. Any vehicle built for snow use is designed to maximize the footprint, to enhance float. When you sink deep into the snow, you're done. If you can get to the dirt, that's another matter, but in deep snow you don't want to sink.

·
Registered
946 Posts
They do. This is getting hilarious. Any vehicle built for snow use is designed to maximize the footprint, to enhance float. When you sink deep into the snow, you're done. If you can get to the dirt, that's another matter, but in deep snow you don't want to sink.

OK. If you say so.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
There are a lot of different kinds of sno-wheeling and I guess until you have played in each different kind of snow you really don't know snow at all. Around here playing in the snow yota's running 40's aired down to 2psi are the king of the snow piles. We normally get a lot of snow and if you get stuck by sinking down you might never get out. This guy is not running pizza cutters.

Attachments

Reactions: Cummins_Powered

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Driving a Jeep in the snow (almost an oil thread) Opinions and anecdotal stories all over the map.
They start with "when I was a kid 100 years ago" I drove in 2' of snow in a rear wheel drive Dodge Coronet 440 w/recaps and did just fine ... to You need a Subaru CrossX Gee Wizz all the time all wheel drive to survive

Driven the above referenced and about a dozen different Jeeps in all shapes and sizes in the snow and did just fine - including a particularly harrowing ALL-Night trek across route 80 (closed) due to snow. Last and only guy on the road from Columbus Ohio to the Poconos in a Rubicon. No cars/No Plows/Nothing but me for 14 hours. I'm still here. Rubicon was literally plowing the snow with the front bumper. Was it the smartest thing I ever did? Probably not But my best friends Wife had just been killed and no body was going to keep me from getting home including the State Police that closed the highway.

Sometimes it's fun and other times it's Why you bought a F'ing Jeep.

Good tires and a state of mind is what gets you there. The Jeep helps A Lot.

Jeep on._

1 - 20 of 46 Posts