Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon Jeepers far and wide. Want to leverage your experience in analyzing my issue.

We have a 2010 JKU Rubicon, 85xxx miles. Until yesterday it was on OEM 17x7 wheels and MTX 275/75/17s (5 on 5) with SpyderTrex 1.5" spacers.

The new setup is a set of 17x9 Pro Comp Helldorado's (#7036) with 4.75" backspacing and 33" Mickey Thompson Baja STZs.

Had quite a bit of fun getting them on. I don't have access to a lift, so asked local shop to mount/balance new wheels and tires for me.

The shop calls, and they can't mount them since the difference in bore sizes between the OEM wheels and the ProComp's is nearly 1" (1/2" all the way around), and the indexing ring on the SpyderTrex spacer hub is too small.

Called customer service from site i purchased wheels/tires from. Finally got a tech that seemed to know what he was talking about. He followed up with Pro Comp and came back with this answer: Pro Comp doesn't make spacers to accommodate the bore size offset, but their lug nuts are specifically beveled to index the wheel properly without relying on the spacer to index. Had a set of lug nuts (part #21184B) shipped and finished installing new setup.

Wow. I feel like i'm going to tip over if i go into a turn over 40 mph, and there's quite a bit more play in the steering than i've grown used to. At speeds above 60 it feels like the wheels arbitrarily pull in one direction or another. It's actually a bit nerve-wracking, especially in rush hour traffic in my area.

I'm thinking an extra 5" added to wheel base is too much. If i pull the spacers will 4.75" be enough backspace to prevent rub while turning ? I hit a dip in the road today and got a bit of rubbing (bottom out, maybe). I think that might be fixed once i put in the TeraFlex spring leveling kit i have sitting on the garage floor.

Thoughts, comments, advice, and even criticisms are welcome. Thanks !!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
4.75 is more than enough right up to a 12.5" wide tire, you do not need the wheel spacers too, this is why people get an after market wheel so they don't need to run wheel spacers.

Right now with the spacers you are running the equivalent of a 3.25" backspaced wheel which is not needed and will be much harder on your ball joints, etc then 4.5" will.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4.75 is more than enough right up to a 12.5" wide tire, you do not need the wheel spacers too, this is why people get an after market wheel so they don't need to run wheel spacers.

Right now with the spacers you are running the equivalent of a 3.25" backspaced wheel which is not needed and will be much harder on your ball joints, etc then 4.5" will.
Thanks Vans, that makes sense. In your experience is using beveled lug nuts to replace an indexed hub ring sensible ?

Next post: LNIB SpyderTrex 1.5" spaces for sale hahahahahahaha

·
Super Moderator
14,528 Posts
The wheels are hub centric rather then hub centric. Did he remove the brake rotor clips?
Yes, Jeep wheels are lug centric, not hub centric... Although the factory wheels are both.

Definitely take off the spacers. Your new wheels have the same offset as your stock wheels with the spacers and 4.75 is good to go.

And like kjeeper10 said, while you're in there, make sure the rotor clips were removed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the rotor clips were already removed.

Thanks to all for the assistance. She's already driving better. Tomorrow am rush hour traffic will tell all

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll say this though; i wish i had access to a lift. The entire process would have taken less than 20 minutes instead of the hour it took in the garage with my lovely assistant, i mean, wife.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not to mention I'll have to take it all apart again this weekend and put in the TeraFlex leveling kit. Just ran out of daylight & time to do it today.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The black-on-black ProComps compliment the SRC front/rear bumpers and side rails pretty well. Next item on the list is getting rid of the ABS stock fender flares. i'm fairly sure that's what caused the rub today when i hit a bump coming out of the city.....that, and crappy roads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts