Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed this today & wanted to caution anyone else who was thinking about it. It is the Pilot Automotive PM-2112E Shark Shift Knob. The step by step instructions are included in the packaging, but there are no adapters inside.
The only step that went as planned was removing the old shift knob.
Installing the new shifter included machining the new shifter collar out to .628" to fit over the shaft. Once that was done, the knob slid on to the shaft pretty easily. I did this step on a lathe at work, and quickly realized it was NOT something I could have done at home!
I also had to manufacture a 1.5" adapter to fit between the release button and the shifter latch so the shifter would work. 1/4" tubing worked really well for this step, as it had a good wall thickness.
Once all the pieces were manufactured or machined, the rest of the installation was simply installing the set screws and testing the operation of the shifter.
I would NOT recommend this as a direct replacement shifter, but you can make it work :)

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
I am curious as to why you changed your shifter? Me, I'm not a believer in changing something if it works and works the way you want it to work. 22"s with low profiles at $1000 plus, no sense to me. No functionality improvement at all, actually, it makes the vehicle ride rougher and is more prone to wheel/tire damage. So, again, just curious, what inspired you to change your shifter?

·
Registered
219 Posts
It looks good! I'm not into autos but that is a definite aesthetic improvement over stock.

I like the Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter (in black) myself......just sayin'

·
Registered
901 Posts
Inspiration? Modifying and changing things to your personal liking is a Jeep thing. You wouldn't understand. I think it looks cool and good job using some machining skills to install it properly.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I am curious as to why you changed your shifter? Me, I'm not a believer in changing something if it works and works the way you want it to work. 22"s with low profiles at $1000 plus, no sense to me. No functionality improvement at all, actually, it makes the vehicle ride rougher and is more prone to wheel/tire damage. So, again, just curious, what inspired you to change your shifter?
You do it for look and something different. I guess you are a non believer in any cosmetic customization.

Anyway. I have the same shifter in plain billet. Picked it up at Pep Boys in the errrrrrrrrrrrr.....ricer section (hope no one saw me over there)

Yea I found the same thing you did and had to bore the collar out. I used a hand drill and roto zip. I used piece of wood dowel under the button.

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$17 to "upgrade" to a shifter that I wanted and add a custom touch to the interior. The Tee handle was starting to work loose and vibrate a little, so this was a good "fix" for me :whistling:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Wheel2Work,

Ok, makes sense to me now. Your T-handle shifter was working loose. As I said before, I was just curious. Thanks.

JeepnJim, your right, I wouldn't understand.

Niel F., you are correct. I am a non-believe in cosmetic customizing. Unless it is a show quality vehicle, it just doesn't make sense (to me) to spend money on something purely for cosmetic reasons. Functional, yes. But, to each to their own. This is America with the freedom to chose, and I don't fault or judge anyone on how they chose to customize their vehicle. P.S.....I like the rocker switch install in front of your 4x4 selector lever. Clean install.

·
Registered
784 Posts
for me, having the button on top of the shifter is a performance improvement Vs. having the button on the side. Instead of needing to grab the handle properly to have a good angle on the button with it on the side, having the button on top means i can quickly slap it down with my palm and can move it to where i need it with my hand at any angle.
This makes its nice for when your rocking the jeep back and forth in mud or snow and have your body twisted to look backwards and grab the handle from a bad angle. I like it, just smack an grab. lol
yeah im weird and like to change little things like this

·
"Seamed Like a Good Idea
1,200 Posts
People who are not Jeepers truly don't understand the modification process. I have quite a few Jeep Parts in perfectly working order that were the victims from a modification. It's fun to make something fit your own personality.

·
Registered
105 Posts
People who are not Jeepers truly don't understand the modification process.
Come on now... people have been customizing vehicles since, what, the late 40's early 50's? This is my first Jeep, but I've been customizing my vehicles since my first car (a '67 GTO that I really wish I had kept). I have to say though, the Jeep is the easiest to mod, and has more aftermarket parts made for it than anything I've ever owned. Lots of fun.

·
"Seamed Like a Good Idea
1,200 Posts
Come on now... people have been customizing vehicles since, what, the late 40's early 50's?
What you said so much better is what I meant. My first car was a 65 Dodge hand me down from my Dad. Had to mod whatever I could on it! As you pointed out the Jeep just has so many aftermarket products available for it. I remember as a teen wondering if it would be possible to build a whole Jeep out of the J.C. Whitney catalog? :D

·
Registered
901 Posts
No doubt! I've been driving since 1979 and almost all my vehicles have been Jeeps or Volkswgens and I think the two brands for sure rule the aftermarket catalog industry.

·
"Seamed Like a Good Idea
1,200 Posts
JeepnJim, don't worry. Plenty of things on my Jeep that I would never plan on replacing just because a new one would somehow be shinier or whatever. I'll never replace it until it wears out or breaks. It's just that we all have certain things that appeal to us and we modify accordingly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts