Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have shocks that came on a 4 inch RC suspension. I was wondering if anyone has put 1-2 inch coil spacers and had to change to longer shocks...or if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks to all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
It is highly recommended to get longer shocks when you install the 2" budget boosts.
Some packages come with the spacers+the longer shocks.

I don't know , however, much about shock lengths and compatibilities as far as 4" lifts though.

Someone should be able to answer this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,952 Posts
I have shocks that came on a 4 inch RC suspension. I was wondering if anyone has put 1-2 inch coil spacers and had to change to longer shocks...or if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks to all.
4" lift + 2" coil spacers is a horrible idea. Don't do it.

But if you insist, yes you'll need 6" lift shocks, and about 4" of bumpstop extension in front, 5" in rear, and spring retainers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
unlimited... i think he's saying he has the SHOCKS from a rough country 4" lift. not that he wants to put a spacer lift on top of a 4" spring lift...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
UnlimitedLJ04 said:
4" lift + 2" coil spacers is a horrible idea. Don't do it.

But if you insist, yes you'll need 6" lift shocks, and about 4" of bumpstop extension in front, 5" in rear, and spring retainers.
Why are coils spacers bad on a 4 inch lift ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
sounds like he has the shocks from a lift kit. a kit that is 4 inches high. I think he's just confirming the length of the shock to the height of the budget boost
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 4 inch RC suspension lift right now with the shocks that came with the lift. I was wondering if it's okay to install a 1-2 inch coil spring spacer on top of that lift.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,952 Posts
Why are coils spacers bad on a 4 inch lift ?
they reduce the amount of space the 4" coils will have to compress, because they remove 2" of the spring tower. they'll also require adding 2" of bumpstop all the way around, effectively eliminating the nice uptravel gained by the 4" lift.

Read this: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/2-budget-boost-33s-with-tube-fenders-66731.html#post843914

Springs compress into a specific area...adding longer shocks and taller springs requires enough bumpstops to prevent bottoming out or spring damage. You check that by removing the springs and checking clearances.




I have a 4 inch RC suspension lift right now with the shocks that came with the lift. I was wondering if it's okay to install a 1-2 inch coil spring spacer on top of that lift.
see post #2:
4" lift + 2" coil spacers is a horrible idea. Don't do it.

But if you insist, yes you'll need 6" lift shocks, and about 4" of bumpstop extension in front, 5" in rear, and spring retainers.
also don't forget 6" of lift is going to require a super short SYE & double cardan shaft, with adjustable control arms. its also going to ride & drive like absolute crap due to 6" of lift on short arms, with very little caster. don't forget you'll need an alignment too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
I have a 4in full traction and 1.75 coil spacers . I got them for cheap to clear 35 easy. currently have 33s. What if you don't mind your hungry tire chewing a bit under the fender haha. What I'm trying to say is no bump stops I bought them without for the travel reason. I realize rubbing can/will be a problem but cmon it's only a fender! Hahahahah :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
Wont the bigger tire accommodate for tue compression of spring in wheel well. Still getting full compression of spring... just ex 2 inches lower allowing a... for ex ...31 tire instead of 30. Maybe I just can't get it in my head Hahaha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,952 Posts
I have a 4in full traction and 1.75 coil spacers . I got them for cheap to clear 35 easy. currently have 33s. What if you don't mind your hungry tire chewing a bit under the fender haha. What I'm trying to say is no bump stops I bought them without for the travel reason. I realize rubbing can/will be a problem but cmon it's only a fender! Hahahahah :p
What shocks you running? Whats the collapsed and extended lengths?

FYI: for the front, almost all 4" lift shocks are around 15.5" collapsed length, with 10" travel. 13.5" is the max that will compress into the stock location. So 15.5" shocks act like 2" bumpstops, and will bottom out unless you install 2" bumpstops to prevent that. So if you're running 4" lift shocks, you've got 2" bumpstops that will break if you bottom them out enough times.

Wont the bigger tire accommodate for tue compression of spring in wheel well. Still getting full compression of spring... just ex 2 inches lower allowing a... for ex ...31 tire instead of 30. Maybe I just can't get it in my head Hahaha
huh? I don't understand what you're saying. Please rephrase in english, using complete sentences and punctuation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
UnlimitedLJ04 said:
What shocks you running? Whats the collapsed and extended lengths?

FYI: for the front, almost all 4" lift shocks are around 15.5" collapsed length, with 10" travel. 13.5" is the max that will compress into the stock location. So 15.5" shocks act like 2" bumpstops, and will bottom out unless you install 2" bumpstops to prevent that. So if you're running 4" lift shocks, you've got 2" bumpstops that will break if you bottom them out enough times.

huh? I don't understand what you're saying. Please rephrase in english, using complete sentences and punctuation.
Ok so explain to me how this guys does it with no complaints or any problems.

4 inch lift 1.5 spacer 33s rubs a little bit on flat fender fully compressed but who cares. Seriously it's a jeep. :p haha (mind you he does NOT have extended bump stops).

So say he put a 2 inch bump stop on would he rub the same amount with 35s?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,952 Posts
Ok so explain to me how this guys does it with no complaints or any problems.

4 inch lift 1.5 spacer 33s rubs a little bit on flat fender fully compressed but who cares. Seriously it's a jeep. :p haha (mind you he does NOT have extended bump stops).

So say he put a 2 inch bump stop on would he rub the same amount with 35s?
thats a good example of how the spacers don't add height at compression, because the springs still stuff inside the tower. Without knowing the compressed shock length, or how the shocks are mounted its difficult to speculate on the necessary bumpstop height. But if using 15.5" shocks typical for 4" of lift, and stock mounts, then thats a perfectly reasonable flex with 33s at full compression. You can even see in the photos the springs aren't fully stacked, and the compressed height does look like ~2" stops. Pictures of the stops at full compression would tell more...I bet the jounce bumper isn't fully compressed inside the cup, but the shock is probably bottomed out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
UnlimitedLJ04 said:
thats a good example of how the spacers don't add height at compression, because the springs still stuff inside the tower. Without knowing the compressed shock length, or how the shocks are mounted its difficult to speculate on the necessary bumpstop height. But if using 15.5" shocks typical for 4" of lift, and stock mounts, then thats a perfectly reasonable flex with 33s at full compression. You can even see in the photos the springs aren't fully stacked, and the compressed height does look like ~2" stops. Pictures of the stops at full compression would tell more...I bet the jounce bumper isn't fully compressed inside the cup, but the shock is probably bottomed out.
Ok I see what your sayin... Thanks for the explanation.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top