Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be getting a TF Performance Leveling kit in the near future, and want to run some new shocks while I'm at it. Just curious about the size of the shocks because I don't much about them and want to make sure whatever I buy will work with the extra lift. I actually have the basic leveling kit now with my stock sahara shocks, so I'm guessing there isn't a problem with most shocks, just don't know how lifts effect the length of shocks, if at all.

Will Rubicon shocks work just fine?

I like the Old Man Emu shocks, anyone run these and like/dislike them? Are there even sizes for shocks, I feel like I only ever see 'rear' or 'front', no sizes.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Stock shock length to 2.5 shocks will be fine. You'll get more droop with a 2.5 shock.

·
Registered
724 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I ran the 1.5 performance lift, I had OME shocks for a 2-2.5" lift (Old Man Emu N196 - Old Man Emu Front Nitrocharger Shock for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with 2-2.5" Lift - Quadratec). I loved the combo, it provided a great ride quality.

I have a number of buddies running the performance lift with rubi shocks and they like the combo. It's definitely a cheaper option for upgraded shocks.
Oh I get what the previous poster was saying now. So did you run those front and back? Just curious since the back is only lifted 1" instead of the 2" up front.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly do you mean by a 2.5 shock?:banghead:
No problem at all.

2.5 means a 2.5" lift kit shock. Any shock that is a stock length (i.e. sport, sahara, or rubi shock) will work fine with a 1.5 leveling kit. You can also run a shock that is designed for a 1.5-2.5" lift kit. If you do the latter, your axles will have more droop or articulation when off roading which is a great thing.

Articulation is limited by sway links, bumpstops, and shock length. The 1.5 kits comes with longer sway links for the rear and you use the longer stock links for the front so you already have more droop with this arrangement. You won't be adding/replacing bumpstops with this kit so it's not worth mentioning here. The longer shock (2.5") with the 1.5 kit will net you more travel in addition. This is even more important if you disconnect your sway links while wheeling.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No problem at all.

2.5 means a 2.5" lift kit shock. Any shock that is a stock length (i.e. sport, sahara, or rubi shock) will work fine with a 1.5 leveling kit. You can also run a shock that is designed for a 1.5-2.5" lift kit. If you do the latter, your axles will have more droop or articulation when off roading which is a great thing.
I don't do a ton of off roading, but it generally involves semi muddy trails but with lots of holes and rocks and logs and generally rough left to right articulation. In that case, it seems like you would recomend the 1.5"-2.5" lift length over a straight 2.5", correct?

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Are we still talking about shocks only or now about a 2.5 lift kit?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are we still talking about shocks only or now about a 2.5 lift kit?
Still just shocks - I was referring to your comment about a 1.5" - 2.5" lift kit shock giving better articulation, unless I misunderstood that last sentence and that's not what you meant at all.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Gotcha.

You can run any shock from stock to 2.5 (including a 2.5 shock) on the 1.5 coil leveling kit.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Do you have plans on going with a bigger lift later on? If your thinking about it then you should invest in longer shocks, probably ones for a 2"-4" lift. then run a set of adjustable bump stops (like from Metal Cloak) to limit the amount of shock travel and keep them within the safe range until your ready to move up to the larger lift. Try to plan ahead if you can. It will avoid the need to buy multiple items later on.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have plans on going with a bigger lift later on? If your thinking about it then you should invest in longer shocks, probably ones for a 2"-4" lift. then run a set of adjustable bump stops (like from Metal Cloak) to limit the amount of shock travel and keep them within the safe range until your ready to move up to the larger lift. Try to plan ahead if you can. It will avoid the need to buy multiple items later on.
Yeah eventually I want a 2.5, nothing higher than that. But good point, Better to get good 2.5 shocks now and not have to buy them later.

Unless I can get a good deal on rubi shocks, I would be fine with those for now and wouldnt be losing too much money.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Matador is running my 11" travel shocks with a leveling kit by TF.
So you can do it just have to be bumped accordingly.

What shock are you looking at ?
When I ran the 1.5 performance lift, I had OME shocks for a 2-2.5" lift (Old Man Emu N196 - Old Man Emu Front Nitrocharger Shock for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with 2-2.5" Lift - Quadratec). I loved the combo, it provided a great ride quality.

I have a number of buddies running the performance lift with rubi shocks and they like the combo. It's definitely a cheaper option for upgraded shocks.
I would be going these, front and back. Although 100 a pop isn't very appealing to me when I head back to school in a month or so. Will probably end up going with rubis for now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts