Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Here's my post on another thread....

I just installed that exact sub under the passenger seat 2 weeks ago. I love it. Took about 2 hours and that included a couple work conference calls in between.

History: I have a 2015 JKU sport. Base 130 audio system with BT and Sat. The base system is HORRIBLE. The first time I turned it up, it crackled, vibrated, and no bass to be heard. Even my 8 year old daughter gave me the stink eye when I turned up her favorite Ariana Grande song! Haha!

Local installer wanted over $800 for 4 new speakers and an amp...yeah not in the budget.

I bought 8 new replacement speaker, 4 kicker 77kick25s 3.5"s. Plug and play...4 Polk db651s for the 6.5, with the free Crutchfield harness, plug and play and the Kendwood sub.....grand total $378.

Soooo happy. It sounds crisp and clear and the bass is awesome. Not crazy overpowering, but enough to make me and my 8 yo daughter smile as we listen to Ariana! Well worth the money. And an added bonus as my wife now enjoys a free butt and back massage when we turn it up! Win/win/win situation!
Where did you get that Kenwood sub? And 8 speakers? I thought our base system only had 6?

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Where did you get 4 Kickers for $150?
I just received by Kicker 77kick10s from Jegs for that price. They were backordered, guess all of us jeepers were buying them. I put the Infinity 6032si in the soundbar a couple weeks ago. Im going to compare the two and see which I like better. Of course, Im going to get a sub to go along with the setup.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I just received by Kicker 77kick10s from Jegs for that price. They were backordered, guess all of us jeepers were buying them. I put the Infinity 6032si in the soundbar a couple weeks ago. Im going to compare the two and see which I like better. Of course, Im going to get a sub to go along with the setup.
Let me know if you like the Inifinty or Kicker better! I have no clue which sub to add. I don't want to break the bank. Apparently some can be had for cheap.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Let me know if you like the Inifinty or Kicker better! I have no clue which sub to add. I don't want to break the bank. Apparently some can be had for cheap.
You don't need to spend a lot for a powered sub. I've read through a ton of sound upgrade threads and a lot of people seem to like the Sound Ordnance from Crutchfield or Soundstream or Kenwood from Amazon.

Sound Ordnance B-8PTD 125-watt compact powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085CAYZ6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2M5Y5ER3PROU1&coliid=I3BR238VTKPJQL

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EOLX0WQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2M5Y5ER3PROU1&coliid=I1X1TGXPTMOHWC

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I just did the full audio upgrade, done by a professional given all the lights, dual batteries, and wiring I have on my Jeep.

I bought a 2015 JKU Sport with stock speakers, no sub and base deck. I knew I was going to gut it all anyway :) As mentioned in all the threads, the stock crap sounds like well, crap!

Here is what I did:
4 - KICKER 6.5" speakers + tweeters
1 - KICKER 8" Hideaway powered sub (part # 11HS8)
1 - KICKER KX400.4 amp
Used all KICKER wires, connectors, install kits etc.
Head unit - PIONEER AVH-x3600BHS

I originally installed all the speakers/amp/head unit and wanted to see how the sound was before I added the sub. As you can imagine, it was def. better than the stock setup but was mostly mids and highs and the sound wasn't "true". Also, during this install the radio connector module for the steering wheel controls did not work, so I had to have crutchfield send me a new one. Since the installer was having to fix this, I decided to add the sub since my baby was going under the knife again anyway. haha

The installer did a really clean job. He used dynamat around the dash speakers and in the sound bar. I do want to take out the sound bar speakers though and see if adding any polyfill is needed.
He mounted the amp under the passenger seat and the sub is mounted under the driver seat and is attached to the special JKU under-seat bracket (bought it for ~$35 on ebay) that is recommended on the forum. The bracket does look nice and worked well and I am thinking about adding another one for the amp.

If I did it all over again, I would swap the sub to the passenger side as it does vibrate the seat bottom. He installed the bass boost knob under the steering column, which gives it easy access, but my knee sometimes hits it getting in so I would recommend moving it to another location. Also, the mic that comes with the Pioneer was mounted on the left side of the dash in front of the tweeter. Not sure if there are better spots to mount it, but people say they can't really hear me when I'm on my phone. I think this is the fact that I am in a soft top Jeep more than the mic. I could be wrong.

Overall though, WOW what a difference! The sound is amazing, it is clear, clean and crisp and loud if I want it to be. I can hear perfectly with the windows down or top off. The sub is perfect, and if I crank up the bass boost, it bumps (which I don't really want. I'm not trying to win a contest). I am very happy with this setup and I even have room under the sub bracket for storage (space is always a premium for us).

Since this was a professional install, I didn't document the process (sorry guys). I am just giving everyone my experience with what I did. Let me know if you have any questions!

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Just did the kicker 4 speaker 77kick10 install yesterday (2 sound bar, 2 in the dash) , as others have mentioned replacing the sound bar speakers including adding polyvinyl will take 10 to 15 minutes and thats taking your time , if you haven't done this yet you'll be surprised at how light and cheap the stock speakers are.

The front speakers are a pain but can be replaced in about 15 minutes each side. I found the passenger easier myself ( requires 3 small bolts the be removed).

Biggest tip to those looking to do this - use the small ratchet driver that jeep supplied in the kit and put your Phillips bit..... makes removal and reinstall of the screws so much easier.

As others state, a big improvement - but nothing ground breaking, I was actually a little let down after reading others and expecting this revolutionary sound...

Will say though , the biggest change is that I can now hear my radio much easier with the top down and doors off. Dial it to 18 setting and it's music to my ears at 60 mph.

2nd tip buy off ebay, there's a seller that has them for $65 /pair shipped - ordered on Monday night and received Thursday ....

Hope I helped those looking to do the upgrade

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
The 2015 has 8 speakers. 4 in the soundbar and 4 in the dash. I got the Kenwood KSC-SW11!
How do you like the Kenwood? Enough bump? Did you install yours under a seat or in the back?

·
Registered
92 Posts
How do you like the Kenwood? Enough bump? Did you install yours under a seat or in the back?
I actually do like it a lot. It really adds some good low end. It's not pounding, but very noticeable. I actually turned down the bass on the radio to -4, so this things is 80% of the bass. I installed it under the passengers seat.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just finished installing the Kickers 77Kick10 in the front and the sound bar. The Kickers are a huge improvement over the MY15 base sound system. The fronts were a little difficult getting the top screw on the speakers but with patience I completed the install in about 1.5 hours

·
Registered
535 Posts
I listen to Electronic music / drum n bass / trance / alternative / 90s / 2000s and upgraded the radio to a Pioneer 4100 NEX as well as the plug and play 77kick10's in the lower dash and the sound bar (4 speakers) and WOW it sounds INCREDIBLE compared to the stock setup.

I would HIGHLY recommend upgrading to the 77kick10's, it's about $140 for four speakers on amazon. But, the real difference will be when you swap out that stock radio 130/430/730. It sounds so so so clear and much better bass due to the amps in the headunit over what the stock provides.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I installed Kicker 40CS54 in the sound bar with Rockford Fosgate Prime R165-S tweeters and mid range in the dash. I also installed the Kicker 184w amp upgrade and the 200w sub upgrade. Both we are PIA since they get mounted in the driver side dash. I used my iPad Mini as my HU (have the 130S/RES) using BT. The sound is great now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here's my post on another thread....

I just installed that exact sub under the passenger seat 2 weeks ago. I love it. Took about 2 hours and that included a couple work conference calls in between.

History: I have a 2015 JKU sport. Base 130 audio system with BT and Sat. The base system is HORRIBLE. The first time I turned it up, it crackled, vibrated, and no bass to be heard. Even my 8 year old daughter gave me the stink eye when I turned up her favorite Ariana Grande song! Haha!

Local installer wanted over $800 for 4 new speakers and an amp...yeah not in the budget.

I bought 8 new replacement speaker, 4 kicker 77kick25s 3.5"s. Plug and play...4 Polk db651s for the 6.5, with the free Crutchfield harness, plug and play and the Kendwood sub.....grand total $378.

Soooo happy. It sounds crisp and clear and the bass is awesome. Not crazy overpowering, but enough to make me and my 8 yo daughter smile as we listen to Ariana! Well worth the money. And an added bonus as my wife now enjoys a free butt and back massage when we turn it up! Win/win/win situation!
What made you decide to go with the Polk 6.5's rather than the Kicker? I think I'm going to do exactly what you did, but I'm on the fence with the 6.5s.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What made you decide to go with the Polk 6.5's rather than the Kicker? I think I'm going to do exactly what you did, but I'm on the fence with the 6.5s.
The only reason, was they were on sale on Crutchfield.com for $75 a pair. Could not pass up that deal all four for $150, free shipping, no tax!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, it looks like I'm not the only one that thinks the base 130 system in the 15 JKU Sport is HORRIBLE! I also replaced the sound bar speakers with the Kicker 77KICK10 (the plug and play is nice) and used poly-fill. What a difference! I am now in the market for the front speakers. Has anyone installed or heard (good or bad) anything about the Rockford Fosgate R165-S components from Crutchfield? They would come with a wire harness for plug and play, and a mounting bracket for the dash tweeter. Thanks all!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Well, it looks like I'm not the only one that thinks the base 130 system in the 15 JKU Sport is HORRIBLE! I also replaced the sound bar speakers with the Kicker 77KICK10 (the plug and play is nice) and used poly-fill. What a difference! I am now in the market for the front speakers. Has anyone installed or heard (good or bad) anything about the Rockford Fosgate R165-S components from Crutchfield? They would come with a wire harness for plug and play, and a mounting bracket for the dash tweeter. Thanks all!
I can't speak for the RF R165-S components in regards to sound quality; but perhaps I can give you information you might find useful. If you order form crutchfield they will include adapter plates for the 6.5" woofers and a wiring harness. If you went with the R165-S components you would need to purchase an additional harness as you need 2 pairs (one of the woofers and one for the tweeters). Since the R165-S set only has an in-line crossover on the tweeter the harnesses will make this set plug and play. If the component set has an external crossover network then you have to run new wiring and things are more complicated.

The best way to mount the tweeter is to butcher the stock 2.5" cone tweeter and then mount the RF tweeter into its frame. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/2015-wrangler-2-5-and-3-5-inch-tweeter-replacement-discussion-1226961-2.html

21 - 40 of 41 Posts