Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been reading through many of the posts regarding sound bars versus sound pods. In one of the posts I found sound wedges, which I have never heard of these before. Has anyone else used them?

The stock radio is currently dead on my wife's '95 YJ. Well the back lighting shows, but the radio and the small screen that shows the time don't work, so I assume it is dead...

My thoughts are to replace the dash stereo, dash speakers and add tweeters on the top corners of the bar and windshield, right next to the edge of the visors. Then possibly add wedges with another two tweeters on the rear part of the roll bar and put an amp under the rear seat. The tweeters will all have base blockers and I think I might do the same to the front dash speakers. 2 way speakers, all component. Nothing special, little base, just crisp sound when the top and doors are off. I'm still learning car audio......

Looking at a pioneer stereo with Bluetooth, aux and usb without a cd player, and I'm still deciding between Rockford fosgate and polk audio for speakers... And since my car's transmission just went out, I might only be able to afford the stereo and dash speakers for now.

Also, where do I post pictures of the jeep as I fix it up? just replaced the floor pan and replacing a rocker panel soon. YJ Pictures or Build forums? I'm still new here...

Thanks!!
-Rich

·
Registered
49 Posts
The 2x4 speakers on the dash are hard to replace. I tuned them so they are quieter. And I have 2 6x9s in the back on the wheel wells. With 2 10 inch subs behind the seat. I made the box specifically for that. And it sounds great. Great sound wherever you sit. And when you take the top off or I can hear it fine.

I have the kenwood aux/Bluetooth/usb works great.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply!
The 2 6x9's you have in the back, are you using those wedge speaker holders?
https://www.quadratec.com/products/14031_5X_PG.htm
Or where do you have them mounted on the wheel wells?

I'm not sure that I want to put in subs though, they take up too much space and would cost a bit more...

I have taken apart most of the dash before when I replaced the dash lights with blue LEDs though, so wouldn't getting to the dash speakers be not too much more difficult?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the 6x9s up against my roll bar facing the front. They are rhino lined. I got a good deal for them at a local speaker shop. And I've heard you need to take it all apart but it's only 2 screws so if you have small hands. You can probably make it work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was in a similar boat... dash speakers were junk. Had a gift card to Crutchfield so I bought new dash speakers. Replacing them was beyond my patience level so I took it to a friends shop. He said "no". Lol.

I instead went with the 6.5" Kicker CentraPod kit that mounts on the floor in front of your gearshift. I replaced the head unit with an MP3 only stereo (no CD) and also added a powered slim subwoofer. It sits on top of my right rear fenderwell. It's onl;y about 3" tall and holds an 8" sub.

Holy hell... sounds pretty damn good for a jeep! When summer comes in Montana I may take the top off and drop the windsheild to replace the dash speakers but honestly I don't have the need.

Stereo was $100, CentraPod was around $160, Sub was around $130. No additional amp needed since the sub is self powered and the centra pod is well powered by the new head unit.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have the sound pods you are looking at and love them. I put Polk DXI691s in them. I also have the centra pad with Polk DXI651s and I have the DXI461p in the dash plus a 10" kicker ported sub in the back. I have a small (in size) 4 channel amp on top of the heater box behind the glove compartment and a large 3 channel amp under the drivers seat on a custom made mount. This thing is stupid loud. Truly impressive sound and I couldn't tell you why. Yes there is a lot of speakers and a couple amps but it really sounds good.

More specific to your post the sound wedges are great. They throw a lot of bass with those polks and the amp. They would probably shame most of the smaller powered subs. The Polks are also marine rated so no worrying about the rain.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just saw these replies, thank you very much!! That does help! I don't plan on getting any subs, as they take up more space, but I did just find a elbow rest compartment that has either a sub or two 6x9 speaker mounts in the back. But that can always be added later on... :) I'm even thinking about skipping tweeters for now too. I was looking at those Polk speakers as well, I definitely think i'll get them, thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts