Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently put on new 31" x 10.5" AT Tires on my '06 TJ. Had the stock tires on before. Now, the spare tire is really leaning up on the brake light, slightly bending it. Also, the rear door is taking more effort to shut. Like it wants to bounce back open. Any advice and words of experience would be appreciated on this. It seems like the new tire is just too large for the mount brakcet. Did you get a new mount?
Thank you!

Vendor
Recently put on new 31" x 10.5" AT Tires on my '06 TJ. Had the stock tires on before. Now, the spare tire is really leaning up on the brake light, slightly bending it. Also, the rear door is taking more effort to shut. Like it wants to bounce back open. Any advice and words of experience would be appreciated on this. It seems like the new tire is just too large for the mount brakcet. Did you get a new mount?
Thank you!
Are you still running stock wheels?

The reason most people go to a Bumper Mounted Tire Carrier is take the added stress from a large, heavy spare off the tailgate sheet metal and the hinges. There are body mounted carriers that do the same thing, but I would say bumper mounted systems are more popular.

Leaving the weight on the factory tailgate mount can fatigue and tear the metal and wear on your hinges to the point where they are sagging and you have to lift the tailgate to get it to latch.

Let me know if you're interested in any of the carriers we have and I'll get you a quote!

-Ryan

Detail Oriented
The 3rd brake light fits a 31" tire exactly. Here is a photo of the stock carrier and 3rd brake light with a 31" tire on a stock alloy rim. Yours should fit like this.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does fit, just very very tightly. Any idea as to why the rear door now takes effort to close? It keeps wanting to pop back open. I'll try posting a photo later today.

Premium Member
I ran the exact set up you have for a long time...than did a swing away...finally just pulled it and moved it into the tub...clean back end now...... :)

Registered
It does fit, just very very tightly. Any idea as to why the rear door now takes effort to close? It keeps wanting to pop back open. I'll try posting a photo later today.
Because that tire is slightly wider than stock. It's now tighter against the rubber bumper on the tub just below the tailgate.

Premium Member
Because that tire is slightly wider than stock. It's now tighter against the rubber bumper on the tub just below the tailgate.[/QUOT

Need to trim those..........my mistake should have mentioned it...when I went to 33"s the swing out TC worked but I couldn't see DIDDLY!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Yeah it really is up hard against that rubber bumper. I saw an extension bracket from quadratec that I'm thinking of buying. $37

Registered
Those will cause more problems. By pushing the tire out like that it will be no longer be making contact with the rubber bumpers. The tire bouncing around will wear on the tailgate and hinges.

Detail Oriented
Truly, that looks normal to me. However, it looks like you could have snugged the tire all the way down; you do not need to do that. It takes a few times and some adjusting and fiddling with it, but you will learn how tight to make it. I would probably let that out a bit. The lugs do not need to be snugged tight like on the wheels.

Alternatively, you could make some delrin spacers or use washers between the rim and the rack, some on each of the three studs, so that you can snug it down well while it still makes firm contact with the carrier through the spacers. Just do not allow it to be too loose.

If you make it so that you are just barely touching the bumpers the tire will wobble while you drive, flexing your tailgate and stressing your hinges. If this happens, the pins eventually could snap and the gate can fall off or the sheet metal of the gate can be bent up pretty badly.

If you go without any sort of spacer (like most) you just have to futz with it until you get it "tight enough" since all the way will do what you see with yours: it will press into the light housing and cause the gate to be somewhat difficult to close.

Another solution would be to trim the three bumpers from the backsides. (They are held on by a Torx bolt, like a T-10 or some other small size.) But your tire would still be pressed into the 3rd brake light housing.

Your tire profile seems to be different than most. My 31" spare on a stock rim does not bend the light housing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts