Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought a 2013 Wrangler Sahara 4-door about a year ago. The speakers are okay, but really leave me wanting more punch, especially bass. It did come with the touchscreen head unit.

I am wondering what you guys would suggest for an upgrade, and if there is a "plug and play" set of speakers that doesn't require custom wiring, etc. to upgrade my setup. I would also like a new sub that ideally fits in the existing sub box which is in the back trunk area. I saw a sub online that goes under the passenger seat but that won't work for me as I have Tuffy storage boxes under both front seats.

I really want to avoid bringing it to an audio shop to have them do that, and I really don't want to get into custom wiring, etc. I did wire a backup camera myself, but I'd really like to avoid spending a whole day swapping out speakers.

Also, not sure if the stock speakers are waterproof or water resistant? I suppose it would be a bonus if the news ones are also, but not sure if that is an option.

Any help and guidance would be great, thanks!

·
Retired Moderator
104,345 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
720 Posts
How well do you think these mods would work for the non-nav headunit? I would love better sound, but I like the stock look and don't want an aftermarket headunit. Thoughts on a small class D multichannel amp and hijacking the output from the stock HU?

·
Premium Member
16,866 Posts
How well do you think these mods would work for the non-nav headunit? I would love better sound, but I like the stock look and don't want an aftermarket headunit. Thoughts on a small class D multichannel amp and hijacking the output from the stock HU?
When I played my part in the mod it was on a basic 130 HU and the Alpine speakers (side saddle Sub)
Sounded amazing. Pressurized tweeter mod and the speakers and Sub.
An amp took the mod on to be known as the PRS+ mod.
Assuming a modest amp the whole mod cost about $250 and was transformational.

·
Premium Member
16,768 Posts
For the PRS, it really doesn't matter which factory head unit you use. The outcome is the same. The factory amp is the "driving" factor...

If you read the 3 threads, you'll find that it's pretty well decided, the tweeter mod is the most effective, the soundbar replacement next and the sub is a small improvement, most in quality, not quantity... But the sub amp elevates that to be more like the tweeter mod in effectiveness.

The CDT speakers for the sound bar are pretty good... Tempted to try a set for mine.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
+1 on the PRS mod. Been running it for about 4 years now. Love it loud and still haven't had any issues with the amp. Running a Pioneer 2300NEX for Carplay and love it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I swapped out the sub with the one recommend in the PRS mod. I didn't notice much difference in amount of "punch" but will take your word for it on the quality.

Next up is the tweeter mod. I have the parts, just have to do the soldering. Is there a YouTube video out there showing what to do on the soldering for the tweeter mod?

As far as the speaker upgrade, I saw a couple brands mentioned near the end of the PRS mod as earlier speakers no longer look to be available.

Would you recommend the CDT or the Infinity speakers? Are either one definitely better than the "upgraded" Alpine audio system that came with my Jeep?

CDT: https://www.amazon.com/CDT-Audio-Co...60867793&s=electronics&sr=1-1#customerReviews

Infinity: https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-REF...ds=REF-6522EX&qid=1567684535&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Also, would these just fit the soundbar (so I would need 2 speakers) or do these speakers also fit in the front dash (so I would need 4 speakers)?

In either case, I need 1 pack of the Metra adapters per speaker, right?

Metra: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007WTEVM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the "upgraded" Alpine system, but I feel it really lacks punch and power, and the sound isn't close to as crisp as in my other vehicles.

I appreciate any clarity and guidance!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Skip the dash speakers. Just do the sound bar. I Beside the dash speakers are a PITA to replace. Also replacing the HU made a difference.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I swapped my sound bar speakers with the upgraded Mopar Alpine (I think?) speakers, and like how my music sounds, a lot more "bassy", however I do NOT have the factory sub in my jeep, so that may make a bit of difference..........

·
Premium Member
16,768 Posts
So I swapped out the sub with the one recommend in the PRS mod. I didn't notice much difference in amount of "punch" but will take your word for it on the quality.

Next up is the tweeter mod. I have the parts, just have to do the soldering. Is there a YouTube video out there showing what to do on the soldering for the tweeter mod?

As far as the speaker upgrade, I saw a couple brands mentioned near the end of the PRS mod as earlier speakers no longer look to be available.

Would you recommend the CDT or the Infinity speakers? Are either one definitely better than the "upgraded" Alpine audio system that came with my Jeep?

CDT: https://www.amazon.com/CDT-Audio-Co...60867793&s=electronics&sr=1-1#customerReviews

Infinity: https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-REF...ds=REF-6522EX&qid=1567684535&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Also, would these just fit the soundbar (so I would need 2 speakers) or do these speakers also fit in the front dash (so I would need 4 speakers)?

In either case, I need 1 pack of the Metra adapters per speaker, right?

Metra: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007WTEVM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the "upgraded" Alpine system, but I feel it really lacks punch and power, and the sound isn't close to as crisp as in my other vehicles.

I appreciate any clarity and guidance!
Have you soldered electronics before? It's a pretty simple capacitor replacement. Snip out the old one and solder in the new one. But if you need practice soldering, there are quite a few "learn to solder" videos out there.

The CDT's sound good. I have done a couple sets and I think they are slightly better than the original Infinity's we used. But you need to mounting brackets with the CDT's as well as the Metra harnesses (1 pack per pair of speakers). Just do the sound bar. We have found that the 6.5's in the dash have a good mid bass that you don't want to change.

The tweeter mod will bring up the crispness... But for more punch you will need to go up to PRS+ and add a class D amp to the sub.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I have soldered before, years ago. Does it matter which end of the capacitor is up? Or do I simply just clip both existing wires and solder the new one in?

So these Infinity speakers are still an upgrade from the current "upgraded" Alpine system that came in the Jeep?

https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-REF...&s=gateway&sr=8-1&tag=wranglerforumconvert-20

Do you have a link to the PRS+ upgrade? Would I still do the same tweeter mod, use those Infinity speakers, and the Sub that I installed, and just add on a new amp?

How difficult is it to swap out the amp and any links to which one I should go with?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Yes I have soldered before, years ago. Does it matter which end of the capacitor is up? Or do I simply just clip both existing wires and solder the new one in?

So these Infinity speakers are still an upgrade from the current "upgraded" Alpine system that came in the Jeep?

https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-REF...&s=gateway&sr=8-1&tag=wranglerforumconvert-20
Yes

Do you have a link to the PRS+ upgrade? Would I still do the same tweeter mod, use those Infinity speakers, and the Sub that I installed, and just add on a new amp?

How difficult is it to swap out the amp and any links to which one I should go with?

Thanks!
You do not need to replace the amp. That amp is good, even with an aftermarket HU that doesn't attenuate the highs and lows like the OEM HU. I did all three and replaced the HU with a Pioneer 2300NEX and I can get the volume of the system louder than the wind at 70 with the top down and no distortion.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Only issue I see from the speakers mentioned (im thinking of doing this my self as I have the upgraded Alpine Mopar speakers in the sound bar (all others are OEM base speakers no sub) is they won't match up with the holes in the sound bar? unless you have some sort of adapter to go from the 3 holes in a triangle formation to the 4 holes on the speaker?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts