Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.....Thought I'd add my 0.02. I have a 2-door 2009 JK soft-top with the base, single cd head (Garbage in my opinion) but I thought I'd swap speakers out and pick up a little better sound. Boy was I wrong. :banghead: I installed the Polk Audio speakers (marine certified) in the dash and in the sound bar. The sound is marginally better but still crap in my opinion. I was going to go with the Kickers but both sounded the same and the "marine certified" swayed me to the Polk. Not sure what the next step is? The expensive wiring harness is keeping me from wanting to pull the stock head but I think that is the answer. I'd be happy to get the same sound as my wifes Infinity system she has in her Ram..........

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
Umm, it's a Wrangler. You can spend all the money you like- it's still massively compromised as a sound stage. A new head unit would be the next step, but it still won't help much. Enjoy it as it is- Mark W.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Well.....Thought I'd add my 0.02. I have a 2-door 2009 JK soft-top with the base, single cd head (Garbage in my opinion) but I thought I'd swap speakers out and pick up a little better sound. Boy was I wrong. :banghead: I installed the Polk Audio speakers (marine certified) in the dash and in the sound bar. The sound is marginally better but still crap in my opinion. I was going to go with the Kickers but both sounded the same and the "marine certified" swayed me to the Polk. Not sure what the next step is? The expensive wiring harness is keeping me from wanting to pull the stock head but I think that is the answer. I'd be happy to get the same sound as my wifes Infinity system she has in her Ram..........
GLAD YOU POSTED!!!!!

I, too, have an '09 Wrangler 2-Dr Soft Top. Mine had the Single CD RES Radio (It should have the Code Letters, RES, etc... on the bottom right side of your Radio...).

First of all, the Polks are good Speakers. They're NOT the problem... the Radio is. If you'll check out my Signature below, you'll see the Audio Upgrades I've done on mine. I actually Donated my RES Radio to a fellow Jeeper, who's buddy accidentally broke his. At least it went to good use!

First step I'd recommend, is to replace your Radio with a good Quality Head Unit. As you can see, I chose Sony. The Amp helps quite a bit, and was a necessity. Where I used to have my Volume up to 31-32 just to hear my music, I now have it down to 17-18 for a good crisp High-Quality Sound. The Speakers I have, included Crossovers and Tweeters, in addition to the 4 6.5" Speakers. AWESOME SOUND, with enough Bass to Rock the House if I choose too.... but I don't! I like just enough Bass to Pound-The-Sound, but Not-The-Ground!

Anyway, the RES Radio is the problem, not the Speakers. At least change out the Head Unit, and you may find this Upgrade suits your needs. If not, then the Amp is your next step after the Head Unit. Yes, you will have to Upgrade your Wiring Harness with your Radio. I had mine installed by Best Buy, and they did a FAN-DAMN-TASTIC Job!

Any questions, just let me know!

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with blackbeard. Change out the cd player. Also I was thinking if you have any plans to get a hard top for your '09, although expensive, it will drastically change the acoustics in your Jeep for the better.

·
Registered
366 Posts
yea you got to good of speakers for the stock head unit. those speakers are expecting a lot more wattage and probly a different ohm too. your best bet now since you already bought and installed the speakers is to stick with them and get a better head unit.

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
Resistance wise, almost any decent car speaker (*NOT INCLUDING SUBS*) is wired to 4 Ohms. The wattage they receive from the deck itself isn't the issue. It's the signal quality. Factory head units are typically rather low wattage RMS, yes, but their output is usually cheap and overheats easily.
Also, when you had the speakers out, did you Dynamat the encolsures? Costs ~$20, and helps a fair bit.
But still, it's a Wrangler- again, most compromised soundstage save a vehicle that never had a top or doors in the first place :) Mark W.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, the reason I did not go with new head was the additional cost of the wiring harness on top of head. Looks like I'll have to put some money aside and wait a couple months.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Thanks for the input, the reason I did not go with new head was the additional cost of the wiring harness on top of head. Looks like I'll have to put some money aside and wait a couple months.
I hear ya! My setup cost me about $1,200 for the Head Unit, Speakers, Amp, and Installation.

I really like the Sony Head Unit, because it has Radio, CD, iPod Plug, and USB Plug. About the only thing I play on it anymore, is a 4-GB Flash Drive, with about 1,000 songs on it. I've got 4 different Flash Drives, that have my "Play Lists" on them, and I've got the Head Unit set to Shuffle. Much easier dealing with the Flash Drives, where I can pop them In/Out, rather than messing with my iPod and Cord. Especially, when I have the Top Down, and I make a quick-stop at a store. Out comes the Flash Drive, and it goes right into my pocket, or..... if I stop for anything longer than a few minutes, I just pop out my Head Unit Faceplate, and toss it in the Trunk. The Flash Drive stays in it.

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

·
Registered
366 Posts
just an idea for you to consider is to get an 4 channel amp like this one and hook it up to your new apeakers and give them the power they want. to get the input to the amp since the stock head unit has no rca out is to use tap-in connectors like this from the speaker wires. for best results use the tap-ins as close to the head unit as possible. i have my sub hooked up in my jeep this way and it sounds great. then you use the speaker level inputs on the amp, this is why i gave you the amp listed above because it has this type of input, to hook up the wires from the tap-in connectors in the back of the headunit to the amp, you will need a 8 pin harness here like this and you are ready to go. the most important part of hooking it up this way is to use the tap-in connectors as close to the back of the head unit as you can. i did this set up in my truck years ago but i used the tap-ins close to a rear speaker and and it didnt sound good at all no bass, i was hooking up a sub, and it made the speaker i tapped into quieter too so make sure you pull out the head unit to get the back of it. its not hard at all.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I got a Kenwood kdc-hd545u off crutchfield very happy. Stock speakers sound really good. Still going to up grade them some day.

Crutchfield gives you everything you need to put your radio in. Except the wire harness for some jeeps. Of course the 2010 unlimited needed the 130.00 harness. However they is you spend over like 120.00 on the radio they will cut the price in half. Then add the code: 3A825 and get another 20.00 off.

They provide instructions. Not real hard to do. took me about 30 min. I did call their tech support once and they were real helpful. Great service. :punk:

I add wire connectors so I did not have to solder the wires.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Im looking for a decent head unit for my 2010 Mountian. Any suggestions??? Im trying to stay under $400. I have the stock 7 speaker infinity set-up, and from what everyone is saying a new head unit should be my first purchase.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
I just put a Pioneer DEH-2200UB in my TJ... $100 at Best Buy. Has USB port, ipod, iphone, aux inputs, tons better than stock, and all the features I wanted for a bill....

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
Kevin- what features do you want? Bluetooth? USB input? iPod integration? Aux inputs? Satellite radio?
I just hooked up my Pioneer FH-P8000BT with all of those things- good deck. The newer decks are VERY convoluted, and now come with a CD instead of a paper manual, which is annoying, but sound quality is great! I also like in the middle of nowhere (3G is a local joke- we don't get it!), and I have not yet found a satellite deadspot. Bluetooth was a pain to get paired, but the mic works even with no top or doors.
I HIGHLY recommend Pioneer. Their stuff works well, and lasts. Also, you NEED the $130 (half off at Crutchfield if you order a deck) CANBus adapter- so don't listen to Qtec when they don't cut you a deal on their "special" adapter (it's the same exact thing). Mark W.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice. Ive been flipping thru Crutchfield for the past couple of days. I was actually thinking about going w/ Pioneer, funny you guys should mention it. I dont really need all the extra ****, but it would be nice. Im happy as long as I can plug my Ipod in. Just checked out the p8000. Thing looks like a beast. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
As for the deck I have- It controls your iPod for you, so you can just leave it in the glovebox- no fumbling with it while you're driving- makes me a much safer driver! Now, if it could only text for me, too... ;) Mark W.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i have the jvc kw 7inch touch screen series...its a double din, has blue tooth enabled so i can flip through my ipod/iphone without attachment. can also watch movies :) but it comes with a usb hook up as well which i never use..cost me 600$ before taxes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts