Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I got a 31 tooth speedo gear for my jeep with 3.73 and 33" tires. I looked at all the charts and this seems correct I put it in and rotated it to the correct number. I checked it with GPS, and im still 2-3 mph off at 25mph... My problem MIGHT be that the little dot does not line exactly up if I put the clip on. The grooves where the retaining clip pull it out of alignment when I put it in. Could that be it? Thanks!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
A 31 tooth is correct for 33" tires and 3.73 gearing. You sure your GPS is set to read statute miles/mph?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
also might want to measure your tires. My 33x12.50x15 Duratracs actually measured 32x11.50x15

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
TJNewbie said:
also might want to measure your tires. My 33x12.50x15 Duratracs actually measured 32x11.50x15
X2

There are only a handful of tires that are actually true to what is printed on the sidewall. Typically I have seen that if it is slightly over companies will round up...similar to flat screen tv's.

·
Whiskey for my men...
4,100 Posts
Another thing to consider if your tire sizes are ok. The speedometer in my TJ reads 2MPH fast. It doesn't matter if I'm going 30 or 45 or 60 it always reads fast. Now if it were an incorrect gear it would be off by different amounts depending on the speed. It just always reads 2MPH fast, which is not a bad thing. If I'm in an area where the cops have an itchy ticket book I keep the speedometer right on the posted speed and I know I'm ok.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts