Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got myself a set of black wheels for my jeep. I was reading that some aftermarket wheels have smaller holes making it tough to get a regular 3/4" socket in to tighten the lug nuts.
I ordered this set of black spline drive lugs from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/DPAccessories-D5242P-2308-23-Premium-Spline/dp/B00JH1HI94?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

They seem so small(width). I took some crappy pictures I hope what I'm asking makes sense. The area that actually holds the wheel on seems like its half the size of the factory lug nut. Are these safe?
Should I just get black acorn style lugs and look for a thinner wall socket? Are the gorilla ones from amazon any better?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Those are the same nuts I've been using on two different sets of Fuel wheels. The stock nuts with a socket was scratching the hell out of the wheels.

I'm not sure about using them on stock wheels to be honest. But they seem to work great for aftermarket wheels plus that narrow spline socket they give you fits nicely.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I see a post like this every month. Don't buy those spline lugs, they are too small for any wheel! I can't believe people are actually willing to drive down the road with 100# tire/rim combos with just 5 of those holding their wheels on. Get mcgards $75 with 5 locks and key, and 18 lugs is a total no brainer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I see a post like this every month. Don't buy those spline lugs, they are too small for any wheel! I can't believe people are actually willing to drive down the road with 100# tire/rim combos with just 5 of those holding their wheels on. Get mcgards $75 with 5 locks and key, and 18 lugs is a total no brainer.

Most people post bullshit without backing anything up. To each his own I guess.

My JKU was totaled when a guy ran a red light and hit this wheel directly. Guess what didn't fail? Guess which lugs went back on the new JKU?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a search and found very few posts about them that's why I asked.

I don't plan to use them on the stock wheel. They are going on a set of Mickey Thompson sidebiter wheels.
They seem to sit better in those than the stock wheel.

Anyone else have any experience with them?
Is this DP Accessories a decent brand or should I send them back and get the ones from Quadratec.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Take one of your factory lug nuts off and check it out. You'll notice it's hollow and that threaded portion is press fit into the socket cap. The DPA ones are at-least solid.

Ultimately you have to be satisfied and confident in your purchase. Doesn't hurt to send them back and go for something different.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was Loki g up the mcgards that seem to be pretty popular throughout a few forums. They are $100. That's a lot for lug nuts.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
I had the same concerns with the Quadratec spline lug nuts. Quadratec said they're fine and so did the shop that installed them with my Moabs. No complaints here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts