Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007, 2 door Rubicon with a TF leveling kit, 1.5" spacers and flat fenders on 35s. Paired with the stock Rubicon lift, I have had no issues with rubbing or bottoming out. However, I recently upgraded my rear bumper from a lightweight aluminum tubular one to a Bestop HighRock rear with a carrier. Given the added weight and the tire my rear is sagging a bit. It even rubs the inner plastic inner fenders a bit and sometimes bottoms out when I hit larger bumps. The inner fenders I can trim or just remove but I want to upgrade the springs to regain the ride height and stiffness I once had. I have the stock springs that came with the Rubicon so what would be a solid upgrade without going full lift kit that will give me the desired ride height in the rear?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I have a 2007, 2 door Rubicon with a TF leveling kit, 1.5" spacers and flat fenders on 35s. Paired with the stock Rubicon lift, I have had no issues with rubbing or bottoming out. However, I recently upgraded my rear bumper from a lightweight aluminum tubular one to a Bestop HighRock rear with a carrier. Given the added weight and the tire my rear is sagging a bit. It even rubs the inner plastic inner fenders a bit and sometimes bottoms out when I hit larger bumps. The inner fenders I can trim or just remove but I want to upgrade the springs to regain the ride height and stiffness I once had. I have the stock springs that came with the Rubicon so what would be a solid upgrade without going full lift kit that will give me the desired ride height in the rear?
Check the spring number on the rear. If it ends in a 56 for example you can get up to a 60 stock spring, each number increase should give you 1/4" lift so a 56 to a 60 would/should give you 1 inch more lift. That would be your least expensive solution.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
What deepblue said, go up a couple digits on the oem springs... I went from 14/56 to 17/59, then realized that the 59 wasn't a high enough spring rate for the weight in the rear and I swapped the rears out for 60s.

How much weight did you add to the rear?? Also, soft top or hard top?? What numbers on the rear springs??

I have over 150lbs of audio (subwoofer, amp, wires, sound deadener) in the truck and the 60s in the rear gave me a perfect level and it handles beautifully (see pic).

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just crawled under the rear to take a look. There is a brown tag on one of the of springs stating in bold: 4257AA

Translation?

To answer your previous question: I have a hard top for the colder months but from May-September I run the soft. I would say teh added weight is approximately 350lbs

·
Super Moderator
14,559 Posts
I just crawled under the rear to take a look. There is a brown tag on one of the of springs stating in bold: 4257AA

Translation?

To answer your previous question: I have a hard top for the colder months but from May-September I run the soft. I would say teh added weight is approximately 350lbs
Those are 57's, which seems really high for a 2dr... If you found a 60, you would get about 3/4" increase plus any spring sag you have from yours being old... Check Craigslist, they are usually out there pretty cheap.

Also, any spring can be on any Jeep, there is no such thing as Rubicon springs. :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
1,593 Posts

Translation?

Having added that much weight, I would probably go with the 60s in the rear... Do you have a side view pic of the way it sits now?
You might want to measure how much height you need to get up to level in the rear. Generally, each number you go up adds about 1/3", though when I went from 59 to 60 it added a full 1/2"...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i'm thinking 60s will do the trick. Not a lot hits on Craigslist for eastern Massachusetts right now so where do you suggest grabbing a set that size? 4wd/Quadratec has them by the desired lift (2"-5.5") what is comparable to a 60?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Having added that much weight, I would probably go with the 60s in the rear... Do you have a side view pic of the way it sits now?
You might want to measure how much height you need to get up to level in the rear. Generally, each number you go up adds about 1/3", though when I went from 59 to 60 it added a full 1/2"...
yeah i'm thinking 60s will do the trick. Not a lot hits on Craigslist for eastern Massachusetts right now so where do you suggest grabbing a set that size? 4wd/Quadratec has them by the desired lift (2"-5.5") what is comparable to a 60?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
You can get them from MoparOnlineParts (sponsored vendor on here) send Benny a PM and he'll get you free shipping:

Part Number 68004460AA
SPRING
$74.30
(Not Taxable)
$148.60
Subtotal:
$148.60
Shipping (FedEx Ground ):
$21.54
Promo discount:
-$21.54
Total:
$148.60

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can get them from MoparOnlineParts (sponsored vendor on here) send Benny a PM and he'll get you free shipping:

Part Number 68004460AA
SPRING
$74.30
(Not Taxable)
$148.60
Subtotal:
$148.60
Shipping (FedEx Ground ):
$21.54
Promo discount:
-$21.54
Total:
$148.60
Still a bit on the newbie side, how would I go about sending Benny a PM? I'm definitely planning on buying these springs.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here ya go: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f123/hello-from-moparonlineparts-154354.html

Click on where it says Mopar Online Parts and it will give you the option to send private message. Or post in that thread and Benny will pm you.
Great thanks i'll check that out but before I completely commit to the Mopar ones what amount aftermarket springs such as Old Man Emu, Rubi Express or Skyjacker 2.25" heavy duty springs? Will they offer the same improvements with the potential for a better ride?

Here is a link to the Emu ones:

Old Man Emu 2618 - Old Man Emu 2.25" Lift Rear Heavy Constant Load (150lbs)/(300lbs) Coil Spring Pair for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

·
Registered
283 Posts
Great thanks i'll check that out but before I completely commit to the Mopar ones what amount aftermarket springs such as Old Man Emu, Rubi Express or Skyjacker 2.25" heavy duty springs? Will they offer the same improvements with the potential for a better ride?

Here is a link to the Emu ones:

Old Man Emu 2618 - Old Man Emu 2.25" Lift Rear Heavy Constant Load (150lbs)/(300lbs) Coil Spring Pair for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
I had OME on my TJ, loved them - rode nice.

I have OEM (not OME) 68 rear springs from my JKU with max towing. 40k miles when pulled, never had a load more than a 5 point buck on a cargo tray. $50 shipped, if interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts